Skip to main content

Women's Soccer Falls in Double-Overtime to Oregon

Oct 24, 2021

SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah women's soccer team played its fourth double-overtime match of the season on Sunday at Ute Field. Utah controlled possession for most of the game but would drop a heartbreaker in the 108' minute and fall to Oregon, 1-0. 
Utah (6-8-3, 1-5-2 Pac-12) had 10 shots in the match against Oregon (9-2-5, 4-2-2 Pac-12). Chelsea Peterson tallied six saves for the Utes, and Courtney Talbot and Avery Brady led the team with three shots. The Utes controlled possession for 58 percent of the match. 

"With us knowing how direct and vertical Oregon was going to be, losing a game in that fashion was disappointing," said head coach Hideki Nakada. "We simply need to be more clinical in the final third as we've had too many games where we outplay our opponents but unable to put chances away and get the job done. I do like how we are playing, so we will continue to work to get better in that area and beyond."
Utah and Oregon were locked in a midfield battle to start the contest as neither team could get any attacking looks. The Ducks first shot came in the 5' minute when Kess Elmore had a shot that Peterson saved. Utah's first shot came in the 24' minute when Eden Jacobsen tried to go to the upper corner of the net, but the Ducks goalie made the save. 

Following Jacobsen's shot, Utah had three more shots in the half. Jacobsen, Brianna Pearson, and Courtney Talbot all had quality looks, but the game went scoreless into halftime. 
Both teams possessed the ball early in the second half, but neither team could get a shot attempt off until late in the half. Avery Brady had a shot go wide of goal in the 78' minute of the match. In the 82' minute of the half, Pearson looked for her second goal of the season. Maryn Granger headed the ball, coming off a corner kick, and then Pearson got a foot on it, but the Ducks goalie made a save. 

Peterson came up with a huge save in the 87' minute on a Zoe Hasenauer shot that was kept the game scoreless, and we were heading to overtime. 
Talbot tried to end the match early in overtime as she was just outside the box and tried to go top right corner for a goal, but the Ducks goalkeeper made the save. 

After a scoreless first overtime, we were off to a second, and the Utes had the first shot when Brady had a shot go high. In the 108' minute of the match, after the Ducks controlled a loose ball, Hasenauer found Ally Cook on a long pass, and she scored for the Ducks. The Utes would fall 1-0 to Oregon. 
Utah hits the road as they head to Tucson to face Arizona at Murphy Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium. The Utes will take on the Wildcats on Thursday at 8 p.m. MT on the Pac-12 Network.