Cross Country Heads to Salt Lake City for Pac-12 Championships
LOS ANGELES – The UCLA men's and women's cross country teams are headed to Salt Lake City, Utah for the 2021 Pac-12 Championships. It's the first competition on the program's postseason schedule.
The 2021 Pac-12 Meet will be held at the Salt Lake City Regional Athletic Complex. It's the first time the Conference Meet will be hosted by the University of Utah. The men's 8k race gets the action started at 9:00 a.m. PT and the women's 6k is slated for 10:00 a.m. PT.
For the fifth consecutive year, the Pac-12 Cross Country Championships will be broadcast live on Friday, Oct. 29 beginning at 9:00 a.m. PT. Both races will air live nationally on Pac-12 Network, as well as across all six Pac-12 regional channels. The events will also be available to stream live for authenticated subscribers via the Pac-12 Now app and Pac-12.com. Jim Watson and Tom Feuer will be on the call for Pac-12 Network.
Last Time Out – 2020 Pac-12 Championships
The Bruin men finished fifth overall and the women's squad took 10th at the 2020 Pac-12 Championships in University Place, Wash.
The men debuted a young squad and earned strong finishes, including a 28th-place showing from Anthony Stone (23:40.7) in his first postseason race. The rest of UCLA's scoring five – Peter Herold (32nd), Jake Parker (37th), Darius Riley (38th), and Munir Kabbara (42nd) – all recorded top-50 finishes. UCLA returns each of its scoring five from last season's Conference Meet to the 2021 competition. Then-senior Kira Loren led the Bruin women with a 66th-place finish on the 6k course in 2020. Gwyn George followed closely in 67th place, crossing the line with a time of 21:40.00. Annabelle Werner (75th), Ashley Johnson (80th), and Claire Selleck (86th) rounded out the Bruins' scoring lineup.
Notes on the Bruins
- Redshirt sophomore Peter Herold has been the top runner on the men's side in each of his two races this season.
- Carlie Dorostkar won the 4k at the Mammoth Tri-Meet in her collegiate debut, crossing with a time of 15:39.
- Freshman Audrey Allen was the top runner for the Bruin women at the Dellinger Invite (Sept. 23); it was her first collegiate race.
- Junior Darius Riley has finished in UCLA's top three in each of his three races this season.
- The Bruin women registered four top-40 finishes – Mia Kane (15th), Lavanya Pandey (30th), Sophia Hoelzel (35th), and Sophie Scott (40th) --
- The Bruin men swept the field at the Mammoth Tri-Meet and took nine of the top 10 positions in the 5k (Sept. 1).
UCLA's next postseason meet is the NCAA West Regional Championships on Friday, Nov. 12. The meet takes place in Sacramento, Calif., at Haggin Oaks Golf Course.