USC Women's Volleyball Defeated by No. 22 Washington State
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (10-11, 6-6 Pac-12) fell to No. 22-ranked Washington State (14-8, 8-4) in three sets (25-21, 25-23, 25-14) at Galen Center on Halloween Sunday, Oct. 31.
- Gr. OH Brooke Botkin led the Trojans with eight kills (2e, 33att, .182) to go with six digs and two blocks (one solo).
- Fr. S Mia Tuaniga put up 14 assists and had eight digs and three kills (0e, 8att, .375).
- Gr. LIB Shannon Scully and Sr. DS Kylie Baumert each had seven digs apiece.
- For Washington State, Magda Jehlarova led with 14.5 points on 12 kills (2e, 17att, .588) and four blocks. Kalyah Williams also had 12 kills (2e, 21att, .476). Pia Timmer finished with 11 kills (3e, 28att, .286) and nine digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cougars controlled the first set despite the Trojans' overtures. Both teams finished with 11 kills, but WSU hit .233 to USC's .086 and the Trojans' struggles at the service line did them in as the Cougars completed a 25-21 win.
- USC came back and opened a seven-point lead in set two (13-6), but the Cougars chipped away and finally forced a lead change at 24-23 before closing out a 25-23 win for a 2-0 lead in the match. WSU had 19 kills in the second set and got those on a .255 hitting percentage while the Trojans had just 10 kills on a .143 rate.
- Washington State gave no quarter in the third set and came away with a dominant 25-14 win thanks to a stretch during which Williams had four kills to put the match out of reach.
- The Trojans hit the road for the next four matches and get started with a trip across the Rocky Mountains where they will face Colorado (13-8, 3-8 Pac-12) on Friday (Nov. 5) in Boulder, Colo. The Trojans then face Utah (15-6, 8-4) in Salt Lake City on Sunday (Nov. 7).
- USC fell to 52-18 all-time against Washington State and to 30-4 in home matches with the Cougars.
- Washington State swept the Trojans for the fifth time in the all-time series but for only the first time in Los Angeles.
- The Women of Troy fell to 4-6 at home this season and to 175-51 all-time at Galen Center.
- USC falls to 13-4 all-time in matches played on Halloween Day and to 298-125 in the month of October.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.