Lloyd Named Semifinalist For 2021 Butkus Award
CHICAGO – For the second straight year, Utah Football linebacker Devin Lloyd has been named a semifinalist for the Butkus Award, an award given out annually to the nation's best linebacker. Lloyd is the only returning finalist for the award from the 2020 season.
Lloyd is one of 16 semifinalists with four total players representing the Pac-12. Selection for the award is voted on by 51 coaches, recruiters, scouts and journalists with finalists being announced on Nov. 22. The winner will be named on or before Dec. 7.
The Chula Vista, Calif., native and Midseason All-American leads the Utes in total tackles (71), tackles for loss (14.0) and sacks (6.0). He ranks among the top defensive players nationally, sitting at No. 3 in the FBS in tackles for loss per game (1.6) while leading the league in the same statistic.
Lloyd leads the conference in sacks per game (0.75), also ranking third in tackles per game (8.9). His two interceptions ties for the second-most among linebackers in the Pac-12 with Lloyd being one of just five linebackers in the league to have multiple picks this season.
Lloyd has been pivotal in Utah's success this season, including in its comeback win over No. 18 Arizona State in October. The junior racked up eight tackles that included a career high tying 4.0 tackles for loss with two sacks on Arizona State's final drive to seal the win.
This season, Lloyd has racked up seven or more tackles in seven of Utah's eight games, including three straight games in double-digits to start the season. He has tied his career high in tackles (13) twice, against BYU and San Diego State, also recording 12 tackles with his first pick of the season against Weber State.
Lloyd and the Utes return to action on Friday, Nov. 5 when they travel to Stanford. The game is set for an 8:30 p.m. MT kick on FS1.
Devin Lloyd 2021 Awards & Accolades
- 2021 Butkus Award Semifinalist.
- 2021 Midseason All-America: The Athletic, ESPN, CBS Sports, AP, Sporting News
- 2021 Watch Lists: Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski, Butkus Award, Lott IMPACT Trophy, Reese's Senior Bowl
- Rose Bowl Game Pac-12 Player of the Week (Oct. 18)
- Lott IMPACT Trophy Player of the Week (Oct. 12)
- Reese's Senior Bowl Defensive Player of the Week (Sept. 27)
- Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week (Sept. 7, Oct. 18)
- 2021 Preseason All-America (The Athletic, Athlon Sports, Walter Camp, Phil Steele)