Aztecs Host Two Top Three Teams This Week
No. 2 Oregon State (11-1-2, 6-0-1) at San Diego State (8-4-2, 2-4-0)
Thursday, November 4 | 7 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
Live Stream: Aztec Digital Network | Light Up Bracelet Giveaway (First 100 fans)
No. 3 Washington (12-1-1, 4-1-1) at San Diego State (8-4-2, 2-4-0)
Sunday, November 7 | 3 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
Live Stream: Aztec Digital Network | Kids Club Day
- The Aztecs (8-4-2, 2-4-0) have a huge week on the Sports Deck, hosting No. 2 Oregon State (11-1-2, 6-0-1) Thursday evening and then No. 3 Washington (12-1-1. 4-1-1) Sunday at 3 p.m. Both games will be streamed on the Aztec Digital Network.
- This is the first time in program history that the Aztecs have hosted a top three school in back-to-back matches.
- Oregon State and Washington have the two best RPIs in the country.
- SDSU beat San Diego Christian 3-1 last Wednesday to wrap up their non-conference schedule undefeated (6-0-2).
- The Aztecs are a perfect 7-0-0 at home this season, the first time they've won their first seven home contests since 1991.
- The Aztecs have allowed just 11 goals on the year, tied for the ninth fewest in the nation.
- SDSU is fifth in the nation in save percentage (0.831) and 13th in both shutout percentage (0.500) and goals allowed average (0.749).
- Aztec goalkeeper Jacob Castro's seven shutouts are tied for the ninth-most in the nation. He is also fourth in save percentage (0.839) and 11th in goals against average (0.705).
- Blake Bowen's three game-winning goals are tied for the most in the Pac-12.
- SDSU has held their opponent scoreless in the first half in 12 of their 14 matches.
- The Aztecs are 8-0-1 when they score first and 0-4-0 when their opponent does.
- Midfielder Andre Ochoa, the team captain, is tied for third in the Pac-12 lead with five goals. He was recently named to Top Drawer Soccer's Midseason Top 100 list, coming in at No. 90.
- Iñigo Villaldea's team-high four assists are tied for the fifth most in the conference.
- Tadej Pirtovšek (No. 12) and Alex Hjælmof (No. 88) were recognized in Top Drawer Soccer's Midseason Top 100 Freshmen list.
- For the first time in the program's 53-year history, the Aztecs recorded seven shutouts and allowed just one goal through the team's first eight matches.
- SDSU was undefeated through its first eight matches for the first time since 2005.
- SDSU has gone to overtime in five matches this year, the most times the Aztecs have gone to extra time since 2016 when they played more than 90 minutes in 10 of their 19 matches.
- The Aztecs have scored a game-winning goal in the final five seconds of a match twice this season (UC Davis & San Diego). Both goals were by Blake Bowen following a free kick from Iñigo Villaldea.
- SDSU has only trailed in regulation in two matches (Oregon State and Stanford).
- Five Pac-12 schools are currently ranked in the top 50 of the RPI rankings: No. 1 Oregon State, No. 2 Washington, No. 25 Stanford, No. 40 UCLA, and No. 50 San Diego State.
- The Aztecs have trailed at halftime just twice this season and only five times in their 24 matches under second year head coach Ryan Hopkins.
- SDSU has the No. 1 2022 recruiting class according to at least one publication.
Coach Hopkins' Take on No. 2 Oregon State
"What a big opportunity for our group to play the No. 2 ranked team in the country on our home field. The stakes couldn't be any higher for two teams who are very similar on offense and defense. The game will come down to who can impose their will on the opponent, and I love our chances in that battle."
Opponent Notebook (No. 2 Oregon State)
The Beavers are 11-1-2 on the year and 6-0-1 in the Pac-12… They have the No. 1 RPI and are ranked No. 2 in the United Soccer Coaches poll… They are 4-0-1 on the road… They have outscored their opponents 31-11… They average 2.2 goals per game, second in the Pac-12 and 20th in the nation… The have a goals allowed average of 0.762 and have recorded a shutout in half their matches… Tyrone Mondi leads the conference in points (20) and goals (8)… Goalkeeper Adrian Fernandez is tied with Jacob Castro for the conference lead in shutouts (7)… Head coach Terry Boss (4th season) came to OSU after being an assistant coach at Virginia. Ryan Hopkins replaced him at UVA… The Aztecs are 11-22-3 all-time against Oregon State. The Beavers have won the last six meetings and outscored SDSU 11-0 in their last three matches.
Coach Hopkins' Take on No. 3 Washington
"We feel we have some unfinished business with UW, similar to our two matches against them last spring. Our men will be ready to compete for 90+ minutes to secure a result that will go a long way to securing an NCAA tournament berth."
Opponent Notebook (No. 3 Washington)
The Huskies are 12-1-1 and 6-1-1 in the Pac-12… They are No. 2 in the latest RPI rankings and No. 3 in the United Soccer Coaches poll… They are 6-0-0 on the road… UW has outscored its opponents 32-8… They are top 10 in the nation in save percentage, team goals against average and shutout percentage… Dylan Teves leads the team in points (14) and assists (6)… Goalkeeper Sam Fowler has a goals allowed average of 0.59… Head coach Jamie Clark (10th season) has led UW to the NCAA Tournament in eight of the last nine years, reaching the Elite Eight three times… UW has never finished worse than third in the Pac-12 under his watch… The Aztecs are 7-23-8 all-time against Washington but has beat them or taken them to extra time in their last three meetings.