Pair of Utes Take Pac-12 Weekly Honors
SAN FRANCISCO – University of Utah sophomore offensive lineman Braeden Daniels and junior linebacker Devin Lloyd have earned a pair of weekly Pac-12 awards, the league announced on Monday. Daniels was named Offensive Line Player of the Week, and Lloyd the league's Defensive Player of the Week following Utah's Friday night victory at Stanford.
Playing primarily at right tackle, Daniels was part of a group protecting for a Utah team that produced 581 total yards of offense, the most since 2018. It included 441 rushing yards for the Utes, the fourth-most in program history and tops since 1991. He and the rest of the line created holes that set up running backs Tavion Thomas (20 carries—178 yds), Micah Bernard (12--110) and TJ Pledger (4--107) to become the first Utah trio to each rush for 100 yards in a game.
Daniels specifically had a beautiful pancake block in the second quarter that left Thomas a hole for an 11-yard touchdown, his fourth score of the night. Quarterback Cameron Rising was neither sacked nor threw an interception. Utah produced 440 yards of total offense in the first half, the first 400-yard half for the Utes since amassing 424 yards (1st half) vs. Weber State in 2013.
Lloyd had a career-high five TFLs (19 yards) and one sack, among his game-high nine total stops in the win last Friday. In addition, the semifinalist for both the Butkus and Bednarik awards added his second career pick-six and third interception of the season, plus a pass breakup. Lloyd's five TFLs were the most by a Ute since 2016, and tied for fourth-most in a game in program history. It was also the most by a Power 5 player and third-most in FBS football this season.
Lloyd is the No. 3-ranked linebacker by Pro Football Focus (90.3 grade) and anchored a Utah defense that held the Cardinal to 167 yards, the least amount of offensive yards by a Utah opponent since 2019. It was highlighted by a first quarter in which Utah pushed Stanford back to (-)13 yards of offense.
Utah (6-3, 5-1 Pac-12) caps the regular season road schedule this Saturday, Nov. 13, visiting Arizona (1-8, 1-5 Pac-12) for a noon MT kickoff. The game will be televised on Pac-12 Networks.
Braeden Daniels • 2021 Awards and Accolades
- Pac-12 Offensive Line Player of the Week (Nov. 8)
Devin Lloyd • 2021 Awards and Accolades
- 2021 Butkus Award Semifinalist
- 2021 Chuck Bednarik Award Semifinalist
- 2021 Midseason All-America: The Athletic, ESPN, CBS Sports, AP, Sporting News
- 2021 Watch Lists: Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski, Butkus Award, Lott IMPACT Trophy, Reese's Senior Bowl
- Rose Bowl Game Pac-12 Player of the Week (Oct. 18)
- Lott IMPACT Trophy Player of the Week (Oct. 12)
- Reese's Senior Bowl Defensive Player of the Week (Sept. 27)
- Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week (Sept. 7, Oct. 18, Nov. 8)
- 2021 Preseason All-America (The Athletic, Athlon Sports, Walter Camp, Phil Steele)