Football Returns Home to Face Colorado Saturday
Venue: Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl
Time: 6 p.m. PT
Television (Pac-12 Network): Ted Robinson, Yogi Roth
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from Learfield): AM 570/1150 - Josh Lewin, Matt Stevens, Wayne Cook
Broadcast also on Sirius Ch. 113, XM Ch. 198 / SXM App 960
UCLA will host Colorado and head coach Karl Dorrell (UCLA head coach 2003-07 and UCLA player 1982-86 -- caught 108 balls for 1,517 yards and nine TDs, including a pair of scores in the 1984 Rose Bowl) in a Pac-12 contest set for 6 p.m. PT kickoff on Saturday, Nov. 13. The game will be televised by the Pac-12 Network. The UCLA Learfield Radio Network will broadcast the contest, which will also be aired over SiriusXM and the Varsity App.
UCLA owns an 11-5 overall advantage in the series with the Buffs. The teams have taken turns by winning home games in the series over the past six meetings. The Bruins hold a 5-1 edge in games played in Pasadena. CU won last year's battle in Boulder, 48-42. UCLA's last series win came in 2019 by a score of 31-14 on Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl.
UCLA vs. Colorado — Last year in Boulder, the teams combined for 90 points and 1,003 yards of total offense in a 48-42 decision won by the Buffs in Karl Dorrell's first game as head coach. Colorado surged to a 35-14 halftime advantage only to see the Bruins cut the margin to 42-35 late in the third quarter. Dorian Thompson-Robinson ran for 109 yards and threw for 303 yards in the game.
In its last series win, UCLA secured a 31-14 victory over Colorado in the 2019 season at the Rose Bowl. The Bruins jumped out to a 17-0 advantage after the first quarter of play. Thompson-Robinson passed for 226 yards and Joshua Kelley (now with the Chargers) ran for 126 yards in the win.
• On the ground, UCLA has racked up a 1,795-to-1,049 rushing yards edge on opponents in 2021 ... the Bruins average 4.6 yards per rush while opponents are at 3.8 ... per game, UCLA is at 199.4 (29th nationally); opponents at 116.6 (19th nationally in rush defense).
• Kyle Philips had seven catches at Utah to move into ninth on the all-time school list for career receptions (143). A week earlier, he had a season-high eight catches against Oregon ... tied for seventh on UCLA receptions list are Devin Fuller (2012-15) and Nelson Rosario (2008-11) at 146; sixth is J.J. Stokes (1991-94) at 154 ... his six scoring catches this season are tied for second most by a Pac-12 player in 2021 ... he has a reception in each of the last 26 games he has played in ... Philips led the team in catches the past two seasons (2020 - 38) and became the 27th UCLA receiver to reach the 100-catch mark for a career in 2020 ... in 2019, he topped UCLA in receptions (60), which was the most ever in a single season by a Bruin freshman/redshirt freshman ... he was the first redshirt freshman to lead the team since Craig Bragg in 2001.
• Dorian Thompson-Robinson is set to move up the charts and rates sixth on the school list in career passing yards (6,771 ... 107 yards from moving up to fifth) ... next on that list is Cory Paus (1999-2002 with 6,877) ... DTR is up to fifth on the school career-total-offense list (7,702) with Drew Olson (2002-05) in fourth (8,324) ... Thompson-Robinson (54 - fifth) is taking aim on Josh Rosen (2015 - 17) who holds down fourth on the school career TD passes list with 59 ... with 935 career rushing yards, he is also looking to become the fifth UCLA QB to reach the 1,000-yard rushing mark.
• Tight end Greg Dulcich was named a semifinalist for the Mackey Award last week ... his 53.00 yards per game average is ninth best in the Pac-12 ... he recorded his fourth career game with 100 receiving yards vs. Arizona State on a career-best nine receptions (136 yards) ... he had 117 yards, on three catches, vs. LSU to mark the eighth straight season in which a Bruin TE has gome over the century mark in at least one game (Dulcich in 2020, Devin Asiasi in 2019, Caleb Wilson in 2018 and 2017, Nate Iese in 2016, Thomas Duarte in 2015 and 2014) ... in 2020, Dulcich averaged 19.88 yards per catch (13th in NCAA) and 73.9 receiving yards per game ... both marks rated as second best among Power 5 tight ends in 2020 ... he had a career-best 167 receiving yards vs. USC.
• UCLA has rushed for at least 200 yards in each of its five wins in 2021. It ran for a season-low 110 yards against Oregon and has been below the 200 yard rushing mark in each of its three losses this season. The Bruins have averaged 244.8 yards on the ground this season in wins and 142.8 in losses.
• UCLA converted seven of nine fourth-down opportunities at Utah and is now 20 for 29 on fourth-down conversions this season (69%) ... only Ole Miss (24) and Navy (21) have converted more fourth-down chances this season.
• Transfer linebackers Ale Kaho (Alabama) and Mitchell Agude (Riverside CC) each recorded UCLA career highs for tackles at Utah. Kaho had seven stops against the Utes and now has 18 tackles in his last 4 games ... Agude also recorded seven stops at Utah (his previous best was six vs. LSU).
• UCLA has held four opponents under 100 yards rushing this season (26 by Hawaii, 49 by LSU, 67 by Stanford, 83 by Washington) -- each wins.
• UCLA owns a 79-25 advantage in the first quarters of games this season and opponents have tallied just two TDs in the first quarters of games ... Utah was the first opponent to score a TD on its first drive of a game this season and just the second team to score points on its first drive of the game.
• UCLA has totaled at least one 100-yard rusher (Zach Charbonnet and/or Brittain Brown) in each of its five wins this season.
• Zach Charbonnet posted his fifth 100-yard game of the season at Washington, a season-best 131-yard effort ... his five 100-yard games are tied for the most by a Pac-12 player this season and are the most by a Bruin in a season since Josh Kelley (now with Chargers) posted six in 2018. The last Bruin with more than six was UCLA's all-time leading rusher Johnathan Franklin who had a school-record nine in 2012.
• UCLA is +19 turnovers in wins and -27 in losses under Coach Kelly ... in 2021, UCLA is +4 in turnovers for the season, but has committed seven of its 10 TOs this season in its four losses ... in its four 2020 losses, UCLA committed 12 of its 13 turnovers on the season.