Aztec Host No. 22 UCLA for Senior Night
No. 22 UCLA (9-6-1, 4-4-1) at San Diego State (8-6-2, 2-6-0)
Friday, November 12 | 7 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
Live Stream: Aztec Digital Network | Senior Night
- The Aztecs (8-6-2, 2-6-0) wrap up their regular season Friday when they host No. 22 UCLA (9-6-1, 4-4-1) at 7 p.m. on the SDSU Sports Deck. The game will be streamed on the Aztec Digital Network.
- The first 200 fans will receive a SDSU beanie, and the Aztecs will honor their two departing seniors, Tevenn Roux and Laukoa Santos, with a pregame ceremony.
- This is the Aztecs' third straight match against a ranked team.
- SDSU's two departing seniors Tevenn Roux (Davidson, N.C.) and Laukoa Santos (Waikoloa, Hawaii) have both been with the program for five years and have combined to play 125 matches with 81 starts, totaling over 5,600 minutes.
- The Aztecs just announced the No. 1 2022 recruiting class in the nation according to Top Drawer Soccer. The class features five four-star recruits.
- SDSU went undefeated in non-conference play (6-0-2).
- The Aztecs started a perfect 7-0-0 at home this season, the first time they've won their first seven home contests since 1991.
- The Aztecs have allowed just 13 goals on the year, tied for the 13th fewest in the nation.
- SDSU is fifth in the nation in save percentage (0.835) and 16th in goals allowed average (0.779).
- Aztec goalkeeper Jacob Castro is sixth in save percentage (0.842) and 14th in goals against average (0.741).
- Blake Bowen's three game-winning goals are tied for the second most in the Pac-12.
- SDSU has held their opponent scoreless in the first half in 13 of their 16 matches.
- The Aztecs are 8-0-1 when they score first and 0-6-0 when their opponent does.
- Tadej Pirtovšek (No. 12) and Alex Hjælmof (No. 88) were recognized in Top Drawer Soccer's Midseason Top 100 Freshmen list.
- For the first time in the program's 53-year history, the Aztecs recorded seven shutouts and allowed just one goal through the team's first eight matches.
- SDSU was undefeated through its first eight matches for the first time since 2005.
- SDSU has gone to overtime in five matches this year, the most times the Aztecs have gone to extra time since 2016 when they played more than 90 minutes in 10 of their 19 matches.
- The Aztecs have scored a game-winning goal in the final five seconds of a match twice this season (UC Davis & San Diego). Both goals were by Blake Bowen following a free kick from Iñigo Villaldea.
- SDSU has only trailed in regulation in three matches (Oregon State 2x and Stanford).
- Five Pac-12 schools are currently ranked in the top 50 of the RPI rankings: No. 1 Washington, No. 2 Oregon State, No. 27 UCLA, No. 36 Stanford, and No. 50 San Diego State.
- The Aztecs have trailed at halftime just three times this season and only six times in their 26 matches under second year head coach Ryan Hopkins.
Coach Hopkins' Take on No. 22 UCLA
"UCLA is an attack-minded team that can cause problems with their movements and ball circulation. It will take a full effort and concentration to secure a result. The stakes couldn't be higher with a NCAA tournament bid hanging in the balance."
Opponent Notebook (No. 22 UCLA)
The Bruins are 9-6-1 on the year and 4-4-1 in the Pac-12, good for third place… They are ranked No. 22 in the United Soccer Coaches poll and have the 27th best RPI in the nation… They are coming off a huge 3-2 win over No. 2 Oregon State last Sunday… They are 1-3-1 on the road… They lead the Pac-12 in shot accuracy (.480) and have outscored their opponents 26-21… They have four players with 10 or more points, led by Kevin Diaz and Tucker Lepley who each have 13… Head coach Ryan Jorden is in his third year at UCLA, he came to Westwood from Pacific who he led to three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances… The Aztecs are 7-45-15 all-time against UCLA. UCLA won 1-0 in extra time last month… Last year SDSU played the Bruins to a draw twice, the first time they've earned two results in a season against UCLA.