Cross Country Continues Postseason Schedule at NCAA West Regionals
LOS ANGELES – UCLA Cross Country is set to continue its postseason campaign with a trip to Sacramento for the NCAA West Regional Championships. It's the last meet for the men's and women's squads before potential selection to the NCAA Championships.
Meet Information – NCAA West Regionals
- Women's 6k: 10:00am PT
- Men's 10k: 11:00am PT
- Live Results
- Course Maps (Haggin Oaks Golf Complex): Men | Women
Meet Recap – Pac-12 Championships
The Bruins most recently competed at the Pac-12 Championships on Oct. 29, with the men's squad finishing sixth and the women taking eighth place overall. It was a two-spot improvement for the women from the 2020 Pac-12 Meet. Peter Herold finished as the top runner for the UCLA men, taking 27th overall with an 8k time of 24:56.0. Darius Riley (25:34.8) and Ronan McMahon-Staggs (25:47.1) went 43-47, respectively. Emma Tavella was the top finisher for th Bruins in the women's 6k, taking 36th overall (32:51.7) after moving up 12 spots in the last two kilometers of the race. Mia Kane made her postseason debut and crossed as UCLA's second runner, taking 50th place with a time of 22:22.2.
Last Time Out – NCAA West Regionals
As NCAA West Regionals were cancelled during the 2020 season, the Bruins last toed the line at Regionals in 2019. Colin Burke and Garrett Reynolds finished fifth and 11th overall, respectively, in the men's 10k, earning individual qualification to NCAAs while the men finished eighth in the team standings. Christina Rice was the top finisher in the women's 6k, finishing eighth overall to earn the highest placement at Regionals by a Bruin woman since Ashley Caldwell, who finished third in 2005.
Notes on the Bruins
- Peter Herold has crossed as the top runner for the Bruin men in each of his three races this season.
- Emma Tavella and Mia Kane combined to move up 20 spots in the last two kilometers of the 2021 Pac-12 Championships.
- All five of the Bruin scorers on the men's side at Pac-12s finished in the top 55.
- Four Bruin women – Mia Kane, Audrey Allen, Carlie Dorostkar, and Lavanya Pandey – made their postseason debuts at the Pac-12 Championships.
- True freshman Patrick Curulla scored for the Bruins in his postseason debut at Pac-12s, crossing as the Bruins' fourth runner in 52nd place.
NCAA Selection Show
The Bruins now await their fate to see if they earn a spot in the NCAA Meet. The selection show is set to air on NCAA.com on Saturday, Nov. 13 at 2:00pm PT. NCAA selection is contingent upon total points earned from performances at meets throughout the season.