Bears Open Fort Myers Tip-Off Against Gators
BERKELEY – California opens play at the 2021 Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off against No. 24 (AP) Florida at 5:30 p.m. PT Monday at Suncoast Credit Union Arena on the campus of Florida SouthWestern State College. The contest will be nationally televised on FS1.
The fourth-annual Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off features two four-team fields for the first time this year – the Beach Division and the Palms Division. The winner of Cal-Florida will advance to the Beach Division championship game and face the winner of No. 19 Ohio State-Seton Hall at 5:30 p.m. PT Wednesday; the third-place game will be played at 3 p.m. PT Wednesday.
The Golden Bears (2-2) are coming off of two consecutive wins at home this past week against San Diego (Nov. 15) and FMTO Palms Division member Southern Utah (Nov. 18). The latter was a 75-68 double-overtime victory that saw forward Andre Kelly tally 29 points and 15 rebounds.
- Date & Time: Monday, Nov. 22 | 5:30 p.m. PT/8:30 p.m. ET
- Watch: FS1 | Brandon Gaudin (PxP) & Bill Raftery (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Game Notes: Cal | Florida
Exciting week ahead, see you back in Bear Territory next Sunday! pic.twitter.com/ZpAX6kiqT5
— Cal Basketball (@CalMBBall) November 21, 2021
- Cal and Florida have clashed twice previously at early-season tournaments. The Bears won both meetings; 83-80 at the 1986 Rainbow Classic in Honolulu, Hi. and 73-58 at the 1988 Great Alaska Shootout in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Andre Kelly set career-highs in points (29) and rebounds (15) in Cal's double-OT win vs. Southern Utah (Nov. 18). He became the first Bear with a 25-15 game since Ryan Anderson had 33-17 vs. Washington on Feb. 2, 2008 and the first Pac-12 player with 29-15 since Deandre Ayton (Arizona) on March 10, 2018.
- The Bears shot 66.7 percent (10-15) from three-point range in their win over San Diego (Nov. 15). It was Cal's best single-game three-point field-goal percentage (min. 15 attempts) since the 1996-97 season.
- The Bears most recently played in the Sunshine State at the 2010 Old Spice Classic in Orlando. Cal defeated Temple before losing a pair to Notre Dame and Boston College over four-day span.
- The Bears totaled 30 assists in their past two games (both wins) after recording a combined 13 assists in their first two games of the season (both losses). Joel Brown has played a key role in that increase with seven individual assists in both victories.
- Since having an off performance in Cal's season opener (4 points), Grant Anticevich has looked the part with three double-figure scoring efforts. The Aussie poured in a game-high 17 points on 5-8 shooting (3-3 3PT) vs. San Diego (Nov. 15) and recorded a double-double (11 points, 10 rebounds) at UNLV (Nov. 13). In his 15-point effort vs. Southern Utah, Anticevich came up with three critical shots: his 3-pointer with 2:38 left in the second overtime gave Cal a 68-65 lead that would remain. He also hit shots with 28 seconds left in regulation to give Cal a lead and tied the game with seven seconds left in the first OT.
- Graduate transfer Jordan Shepherd tied his career-high of 27 points in his Cal debut vs. UC San Diego (Nov. 9), going 9-20 from the field.
- Andre Kelly hauled in his 500th career rebound at UNLV (Nov. 13). He is the first Golden Bear to record all 500 rebounds in a Cal uniform since Ivan Rabb grabbed 615 boards from 2015-17.
- Sam Alajiki impacted Cal's win vs. Southern Utah on both ends of the floor, totaling eight points, five rebounds, three blocks and two steals.
Cal will play either Ohio State or Seton Hall in the championship game or third-place game of the 2021 Rocket Mortgage Tip-Off on Wednesday, Nov. 24 at Suncoast Credit Union Arena. Both games will be televised on FS1, with the third-place game starting at 3 p.m. PT and the championship game starting at 5:30 p.m. PT.
For complete coverage of Cal men's basketball, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).