USC Women’s Volleyball Wrangles Wildcats for 3-0 Sweep
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (12-14, 8-9 Pac-12) earned its second straight sweep with a 3-0 victory (25-14, 25-15, 25-11) over Arizona (15-13, 7-10) at Galen Center on Friday, Nov. 19.
- Gr. OH Brooke Botkin led the USC attack with 13 kills (0e, 22att) and logged a career-high .591 hitting percentage to go with nine digs, a block, and two assists.
- Jr. OPP Emilia Weske racked up 10 kills (2e, 21att) and hit .381 and posted a season-high four service aces.
- Jr. OH Kalen Owes tallied 11 kills (4e, 20att) and registered a career-high .350 hitting night.
- Gr. MB Candice Denny posted five kills (2e, .231) and led the Trojans with five blocks to go with one service ace.
- Fr. S Mia Tuaniga dished out 28 assists and had four blocks, two service aces, and one kill.
- Gr. LIB Shannon Scully led the Women of Troy with 10 digs and served up two aces.
- For Arizona, Sofia Maldonado Diaz led with eight kills (5e, 23att, .130). Kamaile Hiapo had 10 digs. Jaelyn Hodge had six kills (5e, 20att) but hit .050.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans hit .366 in the match with 40 kills (10e) on 82 swings and recorded 10 service aces. USC held Arizona to a .026 hitting rate in the match and just 19 kills with 17 errors (76att).
- USC got four kills from Owes in the opening set and three each from Botkin and Weske to run away with an 11-point win. Botkin collected six more kills in the second and the Trojans had six service aces while hitting .462 (14k, 2e, 26att) to grab a commanding 2-0 lead in the match.
- The Women of Troy were relentless in the third and rolled out to an early 7-1 lead. They closed hitting .524 with 14 kills (3e) on just 21 swings and held the Wildcats to a negative .083 hitting rate with just five kills (7e) on 24 attempts.
- USC takes on Arizona State (14-14, 7-10 Pac-12) in a Sunday matinee at 1 p.m. PT at Galen Center. The match will be streamed live on the USC stream platform.
- USC won its seventh straight match over Arizona and improved to 69-22 all-time against the Wildcats; 36-6 at home.
- The Trojans collected their fifth 3-0 sweep of the season.
- The Women of Troy improved to 5-6 in home matches this season and to 176-51 all-time at Galen Center.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.