Cal-Stanford Postgame Notes
Nov 20, 2021
- With today's 41-11 victory, Cal improves to 4-6 on the season. The Bears have won the last two Big Games at Stanford.
- The 30-point margin of victory is Cal's largest in the Big Game since a 41-6 win in 2004 with the 41 points also Cal's most in the Big Game since 2004 and tied for the fifth-most in the series that Stanford leads 65-48-11.
- Cal set a Big Game record with 636 yards of total offense. Cal's previous Big Game best was 560 yards in 1993, while Stanford had 603 yards in 2013. The total yards were the most for the Bears since Cal also had 636 yards of total offensive against Oregon in 2016.
- Cal rushed for a season-high 352 yards that were the most since the Golden Bears rushed for 431 against Washington on Dec. 6, 2008. The last time Cal rushed for more than 300 yards was at Oregon State in 2018 when the Bears ran for 305 yards and its previous 2021 season best was 255 also against Oregon State.
- Cal's first TD came on an 84-yard pass from Chase Garbers to Trevon Clark. It was the longest career pass and catch for both players. The 84-yard play was also the longest pass in Big Game history. The previous record was 82 yards - Brian Johnson to Walter Batson (Stanford) in 1987. Cal's previous long pass was 80 yards - Jackie Jensen to Paul Keckley in 1947. In addition, the play tied for the longest offensive play for Cal in the Big Game - Jim Monachino had an 84-yard run in 1949. The 84-yard touchdown pass was also Cal's longest since Jared Goff completed a 92-yard touchdown pass to Daniel Lasco (longest in school history) against Colorado in 2014 and tied for the sixth-longest in school history. In addition, the play was the longest passing play in the Pac-12 in 2021 and the third-longest play overall.
- With two touchdown passes, Garbers increased his total to a career-best 16 in 2021. He had 14 TD passes as both a 2018 redshirt freshman and 2019 sophomore. Garbers now has 50 career TD passes, which ties him for sixth all-time at Cal with Kevin Riley (2006-10). Garbers finished the game 18-of-27 for 250 yards with the two TDs and one interception, while adding 59 yards rushing on seven carries. The 250-yard passing game was the ninth of his career and moved him into a ninth-place tie on Cal's all-time list of 250-yard passing games with Justin Vedder (1997-98) and Nate Longshore (2005-08).
- Garbers saw his streak of consecutive passes without an interception end at 126 when he threw a pick in the first quarter on his seventh passing attempt of the game. Before today, his last interception was in the second quarter vs. Washington State on Oct. 2.
- Clark finished with three receptions for a career-high 135 yards. His previous best was 122 yards receiving at TCU earlier this season.
- Christopher Brooks had a career-long 75-yard run in the third quarter. He finished the game with 13 carries for 131 yards for his fourth career 100-yard game and first since he had three in 2019, as well as the second-highest rushing total of his career.
- Marcel Dancy had a career-long 76-yard run for a TD in the third quarter that is Cal's longest run since and finished with four carries for a career-high 92 yards with a career-high-tying two rushing touchdowns. Dancy also added one reception for 13 yards and equaled his career high with 105 all-purpose yards, while also attempting the first pass of his career which was incomplete
- Cal's three plays of 75+ yard runs marks the first time since data is readily available (2007).
- Cal had two rushes of at least 75 yards for the first time since vs. Washington State on Sept. 6, 2008
- The 76-yard touchdown run by Dancy and the 75-yard run by Brooks are Cal's longest two runs since Brendan Bigelow had an 81-yard touchdown run at Ohio State in 2012.
- Cal has not allowed a point in the first quarter in any of its last four games (Colorado, Oregon State, Arizona, Stanford) and have held opponents scoreless in the first quarter seven times in 10 games overall this season.
- Cameron Goode was credited with 1.5 sacks to give him a team-high 6.5 this year. He has 20.0 for his career, which puts him tied for ninth all-time for the Bears with Joel Dickson (1986-90).
- Lu-Magia Hearns III registered his first career interception on the first series of the game. He also finished with a career-high four passes broken up that equal the most by a Cal player in 2021 (Isaiah Young, 4 vs. Oregon State) as well as three tackles.
- Nate Rutchena posted a career-high 10 tackles.
- Collin Gamble recorded the first interception of his career in the fourth quarter.
- Muelu Iosefa had a career-high 2.0 tackles for loss (career-high
- Daniel Scott tied a career high with 1.0 tackle for loss.
- Nick Alftin and Elijah Mojarro posted career highs with two tackles, while Ryan Puskas and Isaiah Young tied career highs with two stops each, and Raymond Woodie III tied a Cal career high with two tackles.
- J.Michael Sturdivant recorded his first career tackle.
- Kekoa Crawford completed a 34-yard pass to Trevon Clark that was the first pass attempt of Crawford's six-season collegiate career.
- Nikko Remigio's 27-yard rush in the fourth quarter was the longest of his career while 27 yards rushing were also his single-game career best.
- Chris Street scored his first collegiate touchdown on a five-yard run 5:00 remaining in the game.
- Dario Longhetto had career highs of eight kickoffs and 428 kickoff yards.
- By playing in his 53rd game today, Josh Drayden broke Cal's career record for games played. He had been tied for the lead at 52 with Syd'Quan Thompson (2006-09).
- Valentino Daltoso played in his 45th game at Cal today and started at right tackle for his 44th all-time start at Cal. Since his 2017 arrival at Cal, Daltoso has made at least 10 starts at four different positions on the offensive line (12 left tackle, 12 left guard, 10 right guard, 10 right tackle).
- Elijah Hicks was a game captain for the fourth time in 2021 (also Nevada, at Oregon, Oregon State).
- Daniel Etter and Robby Rowell made their 2021 season debuts.
- Kaleb Higgins made his Cal debut on special teams in today's game.
Related News & Videos
29 minutes ago
7 minutes ago