Football to Host Golden Bears Saturday in Regular-Season Finale
Venue: Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl
Time: 7:30 p.m. PT
Television (FS1): Aaron Goldsmith, Mark Helfrich
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from Learfield): AM 570 - Josh Lewin, Matt Stevens, Wayne Cook
Broadcast also on Sirius Ch. 108, XM Ch. 198 / SXM App 960
UCLA will host California in a Pac-12 contest set for a 7:30 p.m. PT start on Saturday, Nov. 27 at Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl. The game will be televised by FS1. The UCLA Learfield Radio Network will broadcast the contest, which will also be aired over SiriusXM and the Varsity App.
UCLA has captured three of the last four overall meetings with the Golden Bears and split the last two meetings, each held in Pasadena. The Bruins won last year's Sunday morning matchup, 34-10, which was played before no fans. Cal earned a 28-18 decision in a 2019 matchup.
The Bruins own a 56-34-1 overall advantage in the series against Cal, which started in 1933. Last year's game was held on Sunday morning in the Rose Bowl and was won by UCLA, 34-10. Demetric Felton Jr. (now with the Browns) rushed for 107 yards and Dorian Thompson-Robinson threw for 196 yards and three scores. He also ran for 52 more yards and a touchdown.
UCLA closed out its 2019 season with a 28-18 loss to California in the Rose Bowl. Thompson-Robinson completed 23 of 39 passes for 278 yards and one touchdown. Running back Joshua Kelley (now with the Chargers) had 19 carries for 76 yards, becoming the eighth player in program history to have logged consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons.
In 2018 in Berkeley, Kelley rushed for a then career-high 157 yards and three touchdowns, and the Bruin defense forced five turnovers as it was UCLA's first victory with Chip Kelly at head coach. Thompson-Robinson completed his first nine passes and finished the game 13-of-15 for 141 yards. The .866 completion percentage by Thompson-Robinson was the third-best mark by a Bruin since 1980.
In the 2017 meeting played in the Rose Bowl, JJ Molson connected on a 37-yard field goal attempt with four seconds left in regulation to lead UCLA past California, 30-27. The win secured The Bruins' first undefeated home campaign in Pasadena since 2005.
• UCLA, at 2-0 in 2021, is seeking its first unbeaten record in the month of November since the 1998 season when it went 3-0.
• UCLA will clinch at least a tie for second place in the South Division with a win on Saturday which would be UCLA's highest finish in the South since it tied for second in the 2014 season with a 6-3 record.
• UCLA has rushed for at least 200 yards in each of its seven wins in 2021.
• Zach Charbonnet's six 100-yard games are tied for most by a Pac-12 player this season (B.J. Baylor, Oregon State) and are the most by a Bruin since Josh Kelley (now with Chargers) had six in 2018 ... he posted his sixth 100-yard game of the season last week at USC, a season-best 167-yard effort ... the last Bruin with more than six was UCLA's all-time leading rusher Johnathan Franklin who had a school-record nine in 2012.
• UCLA finished with the best road record among Pac-12 teams in league games this season, at 4-1, after its win at USC last week. It is the best record by a Bruin team since it went 4-0 in road Pac-12 games in 2014.
• UCLA is seeking to win a sixth conference game in a season for the first time since the 2014 team went 6-3.
• UCLA's total of 396 points is the most scored by a Pac-12 team this season.
• The Bruins are ranked No. 1 in the Pac-12 in both punt returns (21.8-yard average) and in kickoff returns (29.2) this season.
• UCLA last played in a bowl game after the 2017 season -- a loss in Cactus Bowl vs. Kansas State in Phoenix ... three current Bruins saw action in that bowl game - Mo Osling III, Quentin Lake, Martin Andrus, Jr.
• On the ground, UCLA has racked up a 2,299-to-1,399 rushing yards edge on opponents in 2021 ... the Bruins average 4.8 yards per rush while opponents are at 3.8 ... per game, UCLA is at 209.0 (21st nationally, fourth in Pac-12); opponents at 127.2 (28th nationally, second in Pac-12 in rush defense).
• Kyle Philips had six catches vs. USC to move past J.J. Stokes (154/1991-94) and into sixth on the all-time school list for career receptions (157) and has 29 catches over the last four games (fifth on UCLA receptions list is Danny Farmer, 1996-99, at 159; fourth is Darren Andrews, 2013-17, at 162) ... his eight scoring catches this season are second most by a Pac-12 player in 2021 ... he has a reception in each of the last 28 games he has played in ... Philips led the team in catches the past two seasons (2020 - 38) and became the 27th UCLA receiver to reach the 100-catch mark for a career in 2020 ... in 2019, he topped UCLA in receptions (60), which was the most ever in a single season by a Bruin freshman/redshirt freshman ... he was the first redshirt freshman to lead the team since Craig Bragg in 2001 ... he was named Pac-12 Special Teams Player of the Week after his 82-yard punt return for a touchdown against Colorado.
• Dorian Thompson-Robinson is set to move up the charts and elevated to fourth on the school career-total-offense list (8,456 yards) with Josh Rosen (2015-17) in third (9,187); he rose to fifth on the school list in career passing yards against Colorado and now has 7,377 with Drew Olson (2002-05 with 8,532) next on that list ... Thompson-Robinson (58 - fifth) is also taking aim on Rosen who holds down fourth on the school career TD passes list with 59 (Drew Olson is third with 67) ... with 98 ground yards against CU, DTR became the fifth Bruin QB to reach 1,000 career rushing yards.
• UCLA is now 20 for 31 on fourth-down conversions this season (65%) -- only Air Force (29), South Alabama (26), Ole Miss (25), East Carolina (23), Army (23) and Navy (21) have converted more fourth-down chances this season.
• Transfer Mitchell Agude (Riverside CC) has 22 tackles over the past third games, including a career-best 10 stops at USC ... Jordan Genmark Heath (Notre Dame) has 25 stops in the last four games, including a sack and 2.0 tackles for loss at USC.
• UCLA has held four opponents under 100 yards rushing this season (26 by Hawai'i, 49 by LSU, 67 by Stanford, 83 by Washington) -- each wins.
• UCLA owns an 86-42 advantage in the first quarters of games this season ... Utah, in game nine, was the first opponent to score a TD on its first drive of a game this season and just the second team to score points on its first drive of the game.