Utah Athletics Graduation Success Rate At 93 Percent, Tying For Third Among Power Five Public Institutions
Ninety-three percent of student-athletes at the University of Utah graduated within six years of enrolling according to the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GRS) released today. It is the fifth consecutive year Utah's score has met or exceeded the 90-percent benchmark.
Utah's 93 percent rate is tied for the third-highest figure among Power Five public institutions and is tied for the seventh-highest score among all institutions at the Power Five level.
"On behalf of our entire staff, I am incredibly proud that our Graduation Success Rate once again ranks among the best in the nation," said Utah Athletics Director Mark Harlan. "Supporting our student-athletes' pursuit of a college degree is the number one goal of our department, and they have done that at a consistently high rate. I want to congratulate our student-athletes on a job well done. I also want to thank our students first and foremost, and our coaches and academic staff for their incredible commitment to our students' academic success."
Utah's overall GSR ranked second in the Pac-12 Conference behind Stanford, which came in at 96 percent. The Utes had the best (or tied for the best) GSR among its Pac-12 peers in six conference-sponsored sports: baseball, men's basketball, men's tennis, gymnastics, women's tennis and volleyball. In addition, nine Utah programs achieved a perfect (100%) GSR score: baseball, men's basketball, men's lacrosse, men's skiing, men's tennis, gymnastics, women's skiing, women's tennis and volleyball.
Some other significant notes:
- Both the gymnastics and women's tennis teams have had perfect scores all 17 years since the GSR was introduced in 2005.
- Men's tennis has earned a 100 percent score for the 12th consecutive year.
- Volleyball has earned a perfect score seven consecutive years.
- Men's basketball has achieved 100 percent five years running.
- The football program has eclipsed 90 percent over the last four years and its 90% score for 2021 is second in the Pac-12.
- Fourteen Utah teams equaled or improved their GSR score from last year, while 14 programs reported scores equal to or higher than their respective NCAA Division I aggregate GSR within its sport.
Utah's Federal Graduation Rate for 2021 is 70 percent, which is the second-highest score in department history. The reason for the difference between the NCAA GSR and federal graduation rate is that the former makes adjustments for circumstances such as church missions and transfers.