Cal Closes Non-Conference Play Against Pacific
BERKELEY – The California men's basketball team concludes non-conference play and the 2021 calendar year by hosting Pacific at 3 p.m. PT on Wednesday, Dec. 22 in Haas Pavilion. The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks.
Winners of their last three games and seven in a row at home, the Golden Bears (7-5) are seeking to build their momentum into 2022 and the Pac-12 portion of their campaign. Cal has won 10 consecutive games against Pacific dating back to 1955 and owns a 26-2 advantage in the all-time series. The two teams last met at the DirecTV Classic in Anaheim, California, on Nov. 25, 2012.
Cal head coach Mark Fox purchased 1,000 tickets to Wednesday's game, and the first 1,000 fans at the box office will have free admission into Haas Pavilion. All fans 12 and older attending the game will be required to show proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination and a photo ID prior to entry.
??HOLIDAY SPIRIT ALERT!??
— Cal Athletics (@CalAthletics) December 21, 2021
- Date & Time: Wednesday, Dec. 22 | 3 p.m. PT
- Watch: Pac-12 Networks | Guy Haberman (PxP) & Drew Shiller (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Cal's seven-game home win streak is its longest since winning eight in a row from Feb. 28-Dec. 11, 2019.
- The Bears are 16-3 at home against non-conference opponents under head coach Mark Fox.
- Cal has clamped down on defense, holding 10 of its 12 opponents below their average field-goal percentage this season. Among Pac-12 teams, Cal is third in scoring defense (63.3 points per game) and fourth in 3-point field-goal defense (31.2%).
- The Bears are 5-1 since Thanksgiving with their lone loss coming at Utah on Dec. 5.
- The Bears outrebounded Dartmouth 45-33 (+12) on Dec. 19, marking the ninth time in 12 games this season that Cal has beaten its opponent on the boards. Cal has outrebounded its opponents by 60 (214-154) in the month of December. The success on the glass is particularly evident on the defensive end; Cal ranks 24th nationally and third in the Pac-12 with 29.33 defensive rebounds per game.
- Andre Kelly is ninth nationally in field-goal percentage (63.8%) and is the lone Pac-12 player ranked among the conference's top-5 in FG% (second), rebounds per game (9.2, second) and points per game (15.1, fifth). He posted his fifth double-double of the season against Dartmouth on Dec. 19, totaling 14 points and 10 rebounds. Three of his double-doubles have included 20-plus points.
- Grant Anticevich, Kelly and Jordan Shepherd have each scored in double figures nine times this season. Cal is 5-0 when all three Bears score 10-plus points in the same game.
Cal's Pac-12 slate begins in earnest at Stanford at 4 p.m. PT on Sunday, Jan. 2. The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks.
For further coverage of Cal men's basketball, follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).