Bears Set For Clash With No. 7 Trojans
BERKELEY – California will take a five-game win streak into its Pac-12 men's basketball clash with No. 7 USC at 8 p.m. PT on Thursday in Haas Pavilion. The contest will be televised on FS1.
The Golden Bears (9-5, 2-1 Pac-12) most recently earned a 24-point win, 76-50, against Arizona State on Jan. 2 for their ninth consecutive home victory. With No. 5 UCLA coming into Berkeley on Saturday, this marks the first time that the Bears have played two top-10 teams in the same week since 1975 when they face USC (then-No. 6) and UCLA (then-No. 2).
USC (12-0, 2-0) is off to its best start since 2017, but has not played since Dec. 18. The Trojans are one of three (Baylor, Colorado State) undefeated teams across the country and have defeated Cal six straight times dating back to Jan. 4, 2018.
In order to attend events at Haas Pavilion this season, all fans 3 and older must either show proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter the facility.
- Date & Time: Thursday, Jan. 6 | 8 p.m. PT
- Watch: FS1 | Jim Kozimor (PxP) & Dan Belluomini (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Cal has won by an average of 17.6 points per game on its current five-game win streak. The 24-point margin of victory against Arizona State on Jan. 2 was Cal's biggest in a Pac-12 win since besting Oregon State 76-46 on Feb. 24, 2017.
- The Bears are second in the Pac-12 and 41st nationally in scoring defense (61.6) while limiting opponents to 39.1% shooting from the floor and 30% from 3-point range. Cal has held 12 of 14 foes below their average field-goal percentage this season.
- The Bears have outrebounded their opponents in 11 of 14 games this season, largely due to their effort on the defensive glass. Cal is 21th nationally with 29.43 defensive rebounds per game.
- Jordan Shepherd is averaging 18.3 points, 4.0 rebounds & 2.3 assists in Pac-12 play. He scored 25 points in Cal's win over Oregon State.
- Grant Anticevich was named Pac-12 Player of the Week for Dec. 20-26 after scoring a career-high 25 points with seven 3-pointers and 11 rebounds in a win against Pacific. The seven 3-pointers are the most in a single game by a Pac-12 player this season.
- Andre Kelly is among Pac-12 leaders in rebounds per game (8.6, 2nd), FG% (61.2%, 3rd), points per game (14.6, 7th).
- Cal's last win against an AP Top-10 squad was on Feb. 1, 2014 when it knocked off No. 1 Arizona, 60-58, in Berkeley on Justin Cobbs' game-winner with 0.9 seconds remaining.
Cal hosts another top-10 squad, No. 5 UCLA, at 5 p.m. PT on Saturday, Jan. 8 in Berkeley. The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks.
For further coverage of Cal men's basketball, follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).