First Meet Of The Season Set For Saturday At No. 1 Michigan
TEMPE, Ariz. – The wait for the 2022 season is over for Sun Devil Gymnastics as the team travels to take on defending national champions No. 1 Michigan in Ann Arbor on Saturday, January 15, at 2 p.m. MST.
How to Follow
The meet against the Wolverines will be streamed on the Big Ten Network+, which requires a subscription. There will also be live scoring available. Additionally, updates will be provided on Twitter (@SunDevilGym) and on Instagram (@sundevilgymnastics).
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (0-0, 0-0 Pac-12)
- Arizona State's first two meets of the season were canceled due to COVID-19 protocols. The meet at Michigan will be the season opener for the Gym Devils.
- The Sun Devils were ranked No. 12 in the WCGA Preseason Poll after finishing the 2021 season ranked No. 9, the best finish for the program since 2006.
- The team finished fourth overall in the 2021 Pac-12 regular season standings, as well as in the Pac-12 championship. They earned the No. 11 seed in the NCAA tournament, the Gym Devils first time earning a seed, where they advanced to the regional finals for the first time.
- The Sun Devils return 15 experienced gymnasts to the 2022 roster. The team is led by junior All-American Hannah Scharf who went to the NCAA Championships as an individual and earned Second Team All-America honors, adding to her WCGA regular season nod in the all-around. The Gym Devils welcome two newcomers to the team for this upcoming season in freshmen Mallory Marcheli and Alex Theodorou.
No. 1 Michigan (1-0, 0-0 Big Ten)
- The Wolverines are coming off of their first national championship in 2021. This meet will celebrate the title with fans in Ann Arbor.
- The 2022 Michigan roster returns 10 letterwinners and three freshmen. The team lost just one routine from the lineup last season.
- At the 2021 NCAA Championships, Sun Devil Hannah Scharf went as an individual and rotated with Michigan.