Bruins Open Indoor Season at Cougar Classic
LOS ANGELES – UCLA Track & Field is back for its first indoor team competition of the season this weekend, as the squad heads to Spokane, Wash., to compete in the Cougar Classic, hosted by Washington State University.
Live results for the Cougar Classic can be found here. Runner Space is broadcasting a live stream of the action, which fans can pay to access here.
The two-day competition is set to kick on the evening of Friday, Jan. 14 with the men's high jump, men's weight throw, and women's 5000m competitions at 7:00 p.m. PT. The evening wraps with the women's and men's DMR competitions, slated to start at 7:50 p.m. PT and 8:05 p.m. PT, respectively.
A series of field events opens Saturday's schedule, opening with the women's weight throw competition at 10:00 a.m. PT. The prelim heats of the women's 60m hurdles open the track events at 12:00 p.m. PT and the meet is set to conclude with the running of the women's and men's 4x400m relay competitions at 4:30 p.m. PT and 4:45 p.m. PT, respectively.
UCLA, Oregon, and Washington State are the three Pac-12 representatives this weekend amongst a field of 18 collegiate and club programs. Additional Division I programs include Boise State, Gonzaga, Nevada, San José State, and Santa Clara.
Meet Recap – Kansas State Multi Event
Senior multi athlete Isa Videler is the lone Bruin to have competed this season, as the senior traveled to Manhattan Kansas and won the pentathlon competition on Dec. 10. Videler impressed with a career-best 4,067 points, which was just behind Kendall Gustafson's school-record total of 4,084 points set back in 2018. Videler won three events in the pentathlon: high jump (1.72m, 5-07.75), long jump (5.55m, 18-02.50) and 800m (2:11.44). Notably, Videler's mark was later converted to 4,089 points to account for the 800m event being run without a bank on the indoor track in Manhattan.
Looking Back – 2021 Indoor Season
The 2021 indoor campaign was relatively brief for the Bruins, as the Arkansas Qualifier (Feb. 5) was the only regular season meet the program participated in last season. The UCLA women's 4x400m relay squad went on to compete at the NCAA Indoor Championships for the second-straight year. The team of Shae Anderson, Catherine Leger, Chinyere Okoro, and Makenzy Pierre-Webster finished 10th overall with a time of 3:35.23
Notes on the Bruins
- Isa Videler's mark of 4,089 points in the pentathlon, set at the Kansas State Multi Event (Dec. 10), is the nation's leading mark in the event.
- The Bruins return all four women (Shae Anderson, Catherine Leger, Chinyere Okoro, Makenzy Pierre-Webster) who earned finished 10th overall in the 4x400m relay at NCAA Indoors and secured All-America status.
- Okoro (23.83, fourth), Leger (24.02, sixth), and Pierre-Webster (24.14, eighth) all own spots in UCLA's indoor top 10 in the 200m.
- Shae Anderson returns for her senior season after earning a spot on the U.S. Olympic roster for the Tokyo Games (relay pool).
- Anderson is the UCLA indoor record-holder, running 52.07 at the Don Kirby Elite Invitational in Feb. 2020.
- As a true freshman in 2020, Cameron Reynolds ran 47.74 in the 400m at the MPSF Championships, good for the 10th-fastest time in UCLA indoor history.
- Senior Sean Lee owns the fourth-best high jump mark in UCLA history, as he went 2.18m (7-01.75) at the New Mexico Team Open in Feb. 2020.
- UCLA competed in just one indoor regular season competition during the 2021 season, the Arkansas Qualifier on Feb. 5.