Sun Devils Travel to Pitt, Princeton for Pair of Duals
TEMPE - The Sun Devils (3-1) are road warriors this weekend with a pair of east-coast duals scheduled in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. No. 4/5 Arizona State takes on No. 27 Pittsburgh (4-3) on Friday at 5 p.m. MST before lining up opposite No. 18/21 Princeton (0-2) at 10 a.m. MST Sunday. Fans can watch the Panther dual on ACC Network Extra (ACCNX) and the Tigers dual via ESPN+. (InterMat/FloWrestling Rankings)
ASU at Pittsburgh
Friday, 5 p.m. MST
ASU at Princeton
Sunday, 10 a.m. MST
Last Time Out
- ASU and Michigan competed in four bouts in Austin, Texas following COVID-19 developments in the ASU program. Brandon Courtney and Michael McGee earned wins.
- No. 4 Michael McGee dominated No. 8 Dylan Ragusin in a 10-0 major decision with over four minutes of riding time.
- No. 4 Courtney earned a 5-4 decision over No. 19 Jack Medley thanks to riding time.
- In his first match since Nov. 27, Julian Chlebove nearly upset 2020 Olympian Stevan Micic, losing 8-6.
Sun Devil Notables
- Four Sun Devils remain undefeated: 125 Brandon Courtney is 11-0, 157 Jacori Teemer is 8-0, 165 Anthony Valencia is 10-0, and heavyweight Cohlton Schultz is 9-0.
- Schultz paces the team with five pins, while Valencia has four and 174 Zane Coleman has three.
- McGee has a trio of tech falls on the year
- ASU's starters have combined for 20 major decisions, 19 wins-by-fall, and 10 tech fall victories.
- Kordell Norfleet (6-2) leads the team with four major decisions
- He's wrestled unattached thus far, but Cael Valencia is turning heads at every open tournament he goes to. He's 12-2 with four majors, and his first nine wins were all consecutive. His victims include #13 Hayden Hastings and HM Tyler Eischens.
Pittsburgh at a glance
- The 4-3 Panthers have wins over Buffalo, Edinboro, Maryland and Army
- Five Panthers rank top-25 in No. 7 133 Micky Phillippi, No. 9 Nino Bonaccorsi, No. 13 Jake Wentzel, No. 21 Elijah Cleary and No. 22 Cole Matthews.
- ASU leads the all-time series 4-1, with the last meeting a 32-6 victory in 2017
ASU/Pitt Potential Matchups
No. 4 Brandon Courtney (11-0) No. 32 Gage Curry (10-5)
NCAA '19 Gold, '18 silver
No. 4 Michael McGee (10-2) No.7 Micky Phillippi (9-2)
McGee: 3x NCAA qualifier, Pac-12 '21 bronze
?Phillippi: '20 All-American, 3x NCAA qualifier
Julian Chlebove (6-3)/Cleveland Belton (0-1) No. 22 Cole Matthews (8-2)
Chlebove: Nearly upset 2020 Olympian Stevan Micic on Jan. 3. At Micics debut.
Matthews: 2x NCAA Qualifier
No. 11 Kyle Parco (10-1) Luke Kemerer (7-7) or Dan Mancini (11-7)
Parco: NCAA '21 All-American (6th)
No. 3 Jacori Teemer (8-0) No. 21 Elijah Cleary (8-3)
Teemer: NCAA '21 All-American (4th)
No. 6 Anthony Valencia (10-0) No. 13 Jake Wentzel (9-3)
Valencia: 2x All-American, pursuing a spot on Team Mexico
Wentzel: '21 All-American, 2x NCAA Qualifier
Zane Coleman (8-4) Hunter Kernan (7-7) or James Lledo (11-6)
Massa: 2x NCAA All-American
Josh Nummer (3-7)/Jake Ortiz (0-1) No. 31 Gregg Harvey
Harvey: 2x NCAA Qualifier
No. 9 Kordell Norfleet (6-2) No. 9 Nino Bonaccorsi (7-2)
Norfleet: '21 NCAA All-American, 3x Pac-12 Champion
Bonaccorsi: 2X All-American, 3x NCAA Qualifier
No. 3 Cohlton Schultz(9-0) Jacob Slinger (9-8)
Schultz: 4th at '21 NCAAs
PRINCETON PROBABLE STARTERS
125: #2 Patrick Glory (4-0): 2x All-American, 2x NCAA Qualifier
133: Nick Masters (5-7)
141: Danny Coles (1-1)
149: Marshall Keller (7-5)
157: #11 Quincy Monday (8-2): '20 All-American, 2x NCAA Qualifier
165: Jake Marsh (3-2)
174: Nate Dugan (5-4)
184: #22 Travis Stefanik (4-2): 2x NCAA Qualifier
197: #16 Luke Stout (10-2)
HWT: Matt Cover (9-3)