Ducks Dominate In Season Opener
EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon overcame a bit a slow start in doubles play to come back and take the opening point on the way to a dominant 7-0 win over Portland State in the season-opener Sunday at the Student Tennis Center.
"Overall it's a good way to start the season," said head coach Courtney Nagle. "Any time you get a 7-0 victory is a good day. Little bit of a slow start in doubles with some nerves coming in, but I think we rebounded well and did a really nice job of carrying that momentum into singles."
How it Happened: Down 4-0 at the No. 1 doubles spot, Sophie Luescher and Lillian Mould came storming back to take six straight games to win 6-4 and clinch the doubles point for the Ducks. The duo gave UO a 1-0 lead after Misaki Kobayashi and Ares Teixido Garcia took care of business at the No. 3 spot with a 6-1 win before Myah Petchey and Allison Mulville lost 6-2 on court No. 2.
Luescher kept her strong play going into singles, making quick work of PSU's Capu Sanoner at the No. 1 spot with a 6-3, 6-2 win to make it 2-0 Oregon. The Ducks quickly put up their next two points to clinch the match, with Petchey winning 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2 singles and Mould delivering the clinching point with a 6-4, 6-4 win at court No. 3.
UO took the remaining matches, with Mulville winning 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 5 spot and Kobayashi taking her match, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 6 singles. Teixido Garcia capped off the dominant victory by pulling out a 4-6, 7-6(1), 1-0(4) at the No. 4 spot.
"It was great to see our newcomers get their feet wet and come through the way they did," said Nagle. "I thought we managed momentum well and we have a lot to build on. Looking forward to continuing to build as we face tougher competition each week."
Oregon 7, Portland State 0
1. Sophie Luescher/Lillian Mould (ORE) def. NIka Beukers/Capu Sanoner (PSU), 6-4
2. Emily Rees/Majo Hernandez (PSU) def. Allison Mulville/Myah Petchey (ORE), 6-2
3. Misaki Kobayashi/Ares Texido Garcia (ORE) def. Maddie Egan/Jacinta Milenkoski (PSU), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Sophie Luescher (ORE) def. Capu Sanoner (PSU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Myah Petchey (ORE) def. Jacinta Milenkoski (PSU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Lillian Mould (ORE) def. Emily Rees (PSU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE), 4-6, 7-6(1), 1-0(4)
5. Allison Mulville (ORE) def. Majo Hernandez (PSU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Misaki Kobayashi (ORE) def. Maddie Egan (PSU), 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 6, 5, 4
Up Next: Oregon continues its season-opening homestand Friday against Cal Poly at 2 p.m.