Clean Sweep to Start
STANFORD, Calif. - No. 16 Stanford opened the dual match portion its schedule with a resounding 7-0 victory over UC Davis on Thursday afternoon.
The Cardinal got off to a quick start in doubles as India Houghton and Niluka Madurawe raced to a 6-0 win on court three, followed shortly by a 6-1 victory for the nation's No. 38 tandem Angelica Blake and Connie Ma.
Singles was a similar story for Stanford, with each match decided in straight sets. While Sara Choy (court six), Valencia Xu (court four), India Houghton (court five) and Alexandra Yepifanova (court two) had fairly straight-forward results, Ma and Blake each faced adversity and fought back, as Blake won the final 10 games in a row for a 7-5, 6-0 win on court three and Ma fought off set points in the second for a 6-3, 7-5 victory.
Stanford is back in action next weekend, traveling to Virginia for the ITA Kickoff Weekend.
No. 16 Stanford 7, UC Davis 0
1. No. 38 Angelica Blake/Connie Ma (STAN) d. Sara Tsukamoto/Lauren Ko (UCD) 6-1
2. Valencia Xu/Alexandra Yepifanova (STAN) d. Yana Gurevich/Arianna Stavropoulos (UCD) 6-3
3. India Houghton/Niluka Madurawe (STAN) d. Olive Maunupau/Carly Schwartzberg (UCD) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. No. 9 Connie Ma (STAN) d. Sara Tsukamoto (UCD) 6-3, 7-5
2. No. 21 Alexandra Yepifanova (STAN) d. Yana Gurevich (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
3. Angelica Blake (STAN) d. Arianna Stavropoulos (UCD) 7-5, 6-0
4. Valencia Xu (STAN) d. Olive Maunupau (UCD) 6-2, 6-1
5. India Houghton (STAN) d. Kristina Evloeva (UCD) 6-1, 6-1
6. Sara Choy (STAN) d. Carly Schwartzberg (UCD) 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 2, 5, 3, 1