Sun Devils in California to Face CSU Bakersfield, Cal Poly
TEMPE - The Sun Devils are back on the road and are making their way to California for two duals this weekend. ASU opens the trip Sunday against CSU Bakersfield (3 p.m. MST/CSUB Live Stream) and concludes the trip Monday against No. 15 Cal Poly (1 p.m. MST/Cal Poly Live Stream). Monday's dual features a big time matchup at 165 in No. 6 Anthony Valencia vs. No. 1 Evan Wick.
ASU at CSUB
Sunday, 3 p.m. MST
Watch: CSUB Live Stream
- ASU is coming off a 24-19 loss to Pitt and 20-18 loss to No. 18/21 Princeton
- Michael McGee and Cohlton Schultz shined with their major victories over No. 7 Micky Phillippi and Jake Slinger, and Brandon Courtney moved to 12-0 on the year with his 10-4 decision over Gage Curry. Anthony Valencia, who beat out '21 NCAA runner-up Jake Wentzel 6-3, and Jacori Teemer both remain undefeated at 10-0 and 9-0 with their wins, while Kyle Parco improved to 11-1.
- Against Princeton, Michael McGee and Cohlton Schultz both earned major decisions, while No. 3 Jacori Teemer topped No. 11 Quincy Monday. Teemer and No. 6 Anthony Valencia remain perfect on the year with 10-0 and 12-0 records, while No. 4 Brandon Courtney's undefeated streak ended with a loss to No. 2 Patrick Glory.
- Teemer's performances earned him the third Pac-12 Wrestler of the Week honor of his career.
Sun Devil Notables
- 3 Sun Devils remain undefeated. 157 Jacori Teemer is 10-0, 165 Anthony Valencia is 12-0, and heavyweight Cohlton Schultz is 11-0.
- Michael McGee leads the team with four tech fall victories. His 18-2 win against Princeton's Nick Masters was his first TF win in a dual since 2019 when he was still with Old Dominion and beat Zach Atencio 17-2.
- ASU's starters have combined for 23 major decisions, 19 wins-by-fall, and 11 tech fall victories.
CSU Bakersfield at a Glance
- The Roadrunners have a 1-5 record
- ASU leads the series with a 28-11-1 record
- CSUB snapped a five-dual losing streak with its win over American, taking all nine contested bouts and dropping only a forfeited bout at 133 pounds. Angelo Martinoni grabbed his team-best third dual victory, while Josh Brown (149) won his third, and Jacob Hansen (184) and Josh Loomer (197) their second.
- #16 Chance Rich (133) and #28 Angelo Martinoni (141) are once again ranked in the InterMat national rankings.
Cal Poly at a Glance
- Due to COVID-19 protocols, Friday's scheduled dual meet against Arizona State has been moved to Monday, Jan. 24, at noon inside Mott Athletics Center.
- The No. 15-ranked Cal Poly wrestling team ends a three-week hiatus Monday afternoon with a Pac-12 Conference dual meet against No. 4 Arizona State.
- Antonio Lorenzo placed third at 125 pounds while Bernie Truax claimed third place at 184. In addition, Brawley Lamer was fifth at 157 in the tournament that replaced the Midlands Championships, which was canceled for the second straight year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Evan Wick, the transfer from Wisconsin, is ranked Nos. 1 and 2 at 165 pounds in various polls and owns a 9-0 record with tournament titles at Michigan State and Las Vegas. Wick is a three-time NCAA qualifier and two-time All-American.
ASU/Cal Poly Potential Matchups
No. 4 Brandon Courtney (12-1) No. 30 Antonio Lorenzo (10-5)
Courtney: '21 NCAA Runner Up, '20 NWCA All-American
No. 4 Michael McGee (12-2)/Julian Chlebove (6-4) Abe Hinrichsen (13-9)
McGee: 3x NCAA qualifier, Pac-12 '21 bronze
Chlebove: Nearly upset 2020 Olympian Stevan Micic on Jan. 3 in Micic's debut
Cleveland Belton (0-2) No. 29 Lawrence Saenz (13-9)
Chlebove: Nearly upset 2020 Olympian Stevan Micic on Jan. 3. At Micics debut.
Saenz: '20 NCAA Qualifier
No. 9 Kyle Parco (12-1) No. 18 Legend Lamer (7-2)
Parco: NCAA '21 All-American (6th)
Lamer: '21 NCAA Qualifier
No. 3 Jacori Teemer (10-0) Brawley Lamer (7-7)
Teemer: NCAA '21 All-American (4th)
No. 6 Anthony Valencia (12-0) No. 1/2 Evan Wick (9-0)
Valencia: 2x All-American, pursuing a spot on Team Mexico
Wick: 2x All-American and 3x national qualifier
Zane Coleman (8-6) No. 9 Adam Kemp (9-2)
Josh Nummer (3-9)/Jake Ortiz (0-3) No. 6 Bernie Truax (6-1)
Truax: Holds Pac-12 title
No. 10 Kordell Norfleet (6-2) Trent Tracy (8-6)
Norfleet: '21 NCAA All-American, 3x Pac-12 Champion
No. 3 Cohlton Schultz(11-0)/ Chad Porter (5-4) Samuel Aguilar (5-4)
Schultz: 4th at '21 NCAAs
CSU Bakersfield Probable Lineup:
125 Eddie Flores
133 #16 Chance Rich or Aaron Ibarra | Rich: '21 NCAA Qualifier, Pac-12 runner up
141 #28 Angelo Martinoni: '21 NCAA Qualifier, '21 Pac-12 bronze
149 Josh Brown
157 Brock Rogers
165 Augustine Garcia
174 Albert Urias
184 Jacob Hansen
197 Josh Loomer or Mateo Morales | Loomer: '20 NCAA Qualifier (184), '20 Pac-12 Champion (184)
285 Jacob Sieder or Jake Andrews