USC Track & Field Has Strong Showing In Opener At Red Raider Invite
Alyssa Brewer won the women's 600-yard race with a meet record and Brendon Stewart led a 1-4 finish in the men's 60m dash to highlight the Trojans' efforts at the Red Raider Invitational in Lubbock, Texas today (Jan. 21). Also, Johnnie Blockburger posted a USC all-time indoor top 10 time in the 200m and 400m.
- Brewer won the 600-yard race with a meet-record time of 1:20.69. She won the first heat and then waited out the next three heat to see her time edge Michaela Rose of LSU by 0.09 seconds. Jemima Russell was third in her heat and seventh overall with a time of 1:24.97 and Gigi Maccagnini took fourth in her heat and finished ninth overall with a time of 1:26.21.
- Stewart led a 1-2-3-4 finish for the Trojans in the men's 60m dash by running 6.61 (6.602) to edge out new teammate Kasaun James who also ran 6.61 (6.604). Eric Allen Jr. placed third and posted a PR of 6.64 which moved him into eighth on USC's all-time indoor list. Davonte Burnett took fourth with a time of 6.66, which moved him into 10th on USC's all-time list. James ran a time of 6.59 in the first round to move into fourth on USC's all-time list. Also, Zach Shinnick finished 22nd (6.88) and Curtis Johnson III was 30th overall (7.02).
- Nicholas Ramey won his men's 400m heat with a time of 46.78 to finish third overall. Johnnie Blockburger took fourth in his heat with a time of 46.99 to finished seventh overall. Blockburger moved into ninth on USC's all-time indoor 400m list.
- Blockburger then came back to take fourth in the men's 200m and move to eighth on USC's all-time indoor 200m list with a time of 20.83.
- Earnest Sears III took third in the men's high jump with a clearance of 7-0.50 (2.15m).
- Ramey took fourth in the men's 200m B section with a time of 21.62, while Johnson had a time of 22.61 to place 18th.
- Chioma Okonkwo took second in her heat and finished fifth overall in the women's 200m B section with a time of 24.57.
- Jan'Taijah Ford took second in her heat and finished fifth overall in the women's 200m with a time of 23.63. Bailey Lear was third in her 200m heat with a time of 24.03 to finish eighth overall.
- Lanae-Tava Thomas placed fifth in the women's long jump. She took one jump which went for 19-6.75 (5.96m) and passed on her final five attempts.
- Thomas placed sixth in the women's 60m final with a time of 7.41. She won her first-round heat with a time of 7.37 which was fifth overall. Okonkwo took third in her heat and finished 11th overall with a time of 7.66.
- Ford had a time of 52.75 to take second in her women's 400m heat and finish seventh overall. Lear took third in her heat and finished ninth overall with a time of 53.10. Kimberly Harris was second in her 400m heat and was 10th overall with a time of 53.37. Rae-Anne was fourth in her heat and 14th overall with a time of 55.64.
- Mecca McGlaston took seventh in the women's 60m hurdles first round with a time of 8.38 and Jalaysiya Smith had the eighth-best time in the first round of 8.42. It was the winner of each heat and the next three best times advancing, so neither moved on to the final.
- Alyssa Blockburger had a time of 57.50 to take third in her 400m heat and finish eighth overall. Janiah Brown had a false start in the same heat.
- Dylan Gatua placed eighth in the men's 3000m race with a time of 9:15.03.
- Jalyn Jackson placed ninth in the men's long jump with his one attempt of the day which was a mark of 23-8.25 (7.22m).
- Bobby Poynter had a time of 1:11.21 to place fourth in his heat and ninth overall in the men's 600-yard race. Jack Carter had a time of 1:15.95 to finish 20th overall.
- Alex Mainvielle had a time of 4:23.59 to place 12th in the men's one-mile race.
- Makhaila Mills had a time of 7.51 to placed seventh in the first round of the women's Invitational 60m dash to advance to the final. She did not finish in the final later in the day.