Skip to main content

Washington Drops Hard-Fought Battle Against Oregon

Jan 21, 2022

SEATTLE -- The Washington women's basketball team battled hard until the final whistle, but came up just short at Alaska Airlines Arena on Friday, falling to Oregon 68-61. 

The two teams were neck-and-neck the entire game, with neither squad leading by double-digits until the final minute of the contest. 

In the first quarter, the Huskies opened the scoring on a beautiful combination pick-and-roll between Lauren Schwartz and Nancy Mulkey. Later in the quarter, Mulkey would assert her dominance on the defensive end, blocking two shots in eight minutes of play. 

As a team, the Huskies dominated the interior in first quarter, scoring 14 of their 15 points in the paint. 

Facing a 19-15 deficit after 10 minutes of play, UW was able to ride its guard play to storm back. 

Missy Peterson had perhaps her strongest half as a Husky, scoring 13 points in the first half to lead UW. Lauren Schwartz also chipped in with double-figures in the first half, scoring 10 points on a very efficient 4-5 mark from the field. 

At one point, the Huskies stretched their lead to 5 points at 30-25, although Oregon would go on a run at the end of the half to take a 34-30 lead at the break. 

Mulkey got right back to work in the second half, finding a cutting Haley Van Dyke on the team's first possession before finishing a lay-up through contact on the next trip up the floor. 

The two teams continued to grind it out in the third quarter. Washington upped the intensity on the boards, grabbing four offensive rebounds to help itself to extra possessions. Mulkey picked up the scoring, adding in another 8 points in the period. 

Trailing 51-47 heading into the fourth quarter, Missy Peterson got UW started by drawing a foul and making both free throws to give herself a season-high 15 points. 

The Huskies broke through to take the lead when Lauren Schwartz finished a tough layup through contact to make it 53-52 with 7:37 left. 

UW's team defense stepped up in crunch time, holding Oregon scoreless for over three minutes to keep things tight as the clock ticked away. 

The Huskies kept it at a one-possession game for most of the fourth quarter, but the Ducks pulled away with a couple of late layups to put the game away. 

The defense for Washington held Oregon to their lowest point total in Pac-12 play at 68 points.

Washington has a quick turnaround and is back in action this Sunday at 12:00 p.m. against Oregon State at Alaska Airlines Arena.