Huskies Sweep BYU In Home Opener
SEATTLE – The Huskies made themselves at home once again in the Nordstrom Tennis Center, earning a 7-0 sweep over BYU in their home opener, and the second match of the 2022 season. Washington (2-0) surrendered just one set on the day as senior Vanessa Wong moved into sole possession of second on the UW career wins list with 102.
Wong had a 6-2, 6-2 win over Leah Heimuli on court one which was also the match-clinching point for the Huskies. She broke a tie with Venise Chan for second in UW history, trailing the 111 wins of Kristina Kraszewski.
"I think the girls were really excited to play their first match at home," said Head Coach Robin Stephenson. "The girls were excited all week and it showed in how we played today. I thought we came out really strong and had a good collective team win."
Sarah-Maude Fortin was the first Husky to finish, getting a 6-2, 6-0 win at second singles over Jacque Dunyon. Freshman Kelly Leung's win at No. 6 singles made it 3-0, as she beat Madison Smith by a 6-2, 6-2 score.
After Wong clinched, the Huskies continued putting points on the board. Nika Zupancic defeated Anastasia Abramyan, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 3 singles, then Hikaru Sato posted a 6-3, 6-1 win over Yujia Huang at No. 4.
Zoey Weil finished the sweep with a comeback win at No. 5, beating Helen Jiao 4-6, 6-1, and 10-5 in the super-tiebreak.
Washington swept the doubles point to kick things off, starting with a 6-0 win from Fortin and Zupancic at No. 2. Leung and Weil clinched the point with a 6-2 win at No. 3 over BYU's Jiao/Smith. Then Wong and Sato closed out the sweep with a 6-4 win at No. 1 over Abramyan/Huang.
Tomorrow the Huskies will be back on court against Eastern Washington for a 12 noon dual.
Washington Women's Tennis
January 22, 2022
Nordstrom Tennis Center | Seattle, Wash.
Washington – 7
BYU – 0
1. Vanessa Wong (UW) def. Leah Heimuli (BYU) – 6-2, 6-2
2. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) def. Jacque Dunyon (BYU) – 6-2, 6-0
3. Nika Zupancic (UW) def. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) – 6-2, 6-1
4. Hikaru Sato (UW) def. Yujia Huang (BYU) – 6-3, 6-1
5. Zoey Weil (UW) def. Helen Jiao (BYU) – 4-6, 6-1, (10-5)
6. Kelly Leung (UW) def. Madison Smith (BYU) – 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1, 3, 4, 5
1. Wong/Sato (UW) def. Abramyan/Huang (BYU) – 6-4
2. Zupancic/Fortin (UW) def. Heimuli/Dunyon (BYU) – 6-0
3. Leung/Weil (UW) def. Jiao/Smith (BYU) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1