Road Trip Continues Sunday in Tempe for Women’s Hoops
The University of Utah women's basketball team looks to close out its trip to the state of Arizona with a win on Sunday when they take on Arizona State. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. MT from the Desert Financial Arena.
Date | Time: Sunday, Jan. 23 | 2 p.m. (MT)
Utah (9-5, 0-2 Pac-12) at Arizona State (9-5, 1-0 Pac-12)
Location: Tempe, Ariz. | Desert Financial Arena
Live Stats: Click Here
Live Audio: Click Here
TV/Stream: Pac-12 Networks
HOW TO TUNE IN
The game against Arizona State will be aired on ESPN700 with Tyson Ewing and Milee Enger calling the shots, or you can find the game on the Pac-12 Networks with Cindy Brunson and Joan Bonvicini on the call. Live Stats can be found at UtahUtes.com.
• For the second time this season, Jenna Johnson was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week. She averaged 16.5 points, 3.5 rebounds, and 2.0 assists per game last week. This is the fourth time Utah has taken home this award this season.
• Since Peyton McFarland was put into the starting lineup, she has been a force. She has averaged 11.3 points and 5.0 rebounds over the past three games.
• Sharing is caring! Utah is second in the Pac-12 in assists (256). Utah also leads the Pac-12 in the assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4) and assists per game (18.3). In each of those three categories, Utah ranks in the top 20 in the nation. The Utes have tallied an assist on 63 percent of their field goals.
• Utah has hit eight or more threes in 72 games under the direction of Lynne Roberts, going 52-20 in those games. Utah has made ten or more threes in eight games this season. Utah averages 10.5 made three-pointers per game and has made 147 on the season. Both of those lead the Pac-12.
• Following the trip to the desert, the Utes will head to Oregon for a makeup game against the Ducks. Utah's original scheduled date with Oregon was Dec. 31. However, because of Pac-12 Health and Safety Protocols, the contest was postponed and is now rescheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 26.
• Utah has hit eight or more threes in 72 games under the direction of Lynne Roberts, going 52-20 in those games. Utah has made 8+ threes in seven games this season, including five with 10+ (19 vs. Lipscomb, 11/10, 14 vs. Xavier, 11/13, 12 at Hawaii, 11/27, 16 vs. Eastern Illinois, 11/28, 12 vs. BYU, 12/4, 15 vs. Cal State Fullerton, 12/10, 12 vs. UC Riverside 1/14, 11 vs. #2/#3 Stanford 1/16).
• On Monday afternoon, Jenna Johnson was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week. This is her second time winning this award and the 18th time in program history that the Utes have won the award. Last week, Johnson averaged 16.5 points, 3.5 rebounds, and 2.0 assists per game. She shot 52.6 percent (10-for-19) from the floor and 44.4 percent (4-for-9) on three-pointers.
• Over the last three games, Peyton McFarland averaged 11.3 points and 5.0 rebounds per game. She has started all three games and is shooting 65 percent from the floor. The 11.3 average is the third-most on the team.
• The Pac-12 has been the nation's top-rated conference by RPI in four of the last six seasons, with the Utes facing a Top 25 opponent almost every week. Under the direction of Lynne Roberts, the Utes have knocked off a Top 25 opponent each year, all coming during conference play.
• The Utes are sharing the basketball with the best of them in the nation this season. Utah has tallied 256 assists on 410 made field goals. Utah is picking up an assist on 63 percent of their makes. Utah ranks first in the Pac-12 in assists per game (18.3), and assist to turnover ratio (1.3). They are second in the conference with 256 assists. The Utes have seven games this season with 20 or more assists.
• Utah opened the season with back-to-back 100-point games. This was the second time in program history that Utah scored 100 or more in back-to-back games. The first time this happened was during the 1978-79 season.
• Dru Gylten had a season's best ten assists against the Sooners on Dec. 21st. She was three off of her career-high 13, which she set last season against Montana State. Gylten entered the season at No. 10 on Utah's career assists list and has already moved to fifth this season. Gylten leads the Pac-12 and is ninth in the nation in assists per game (6.1). She also is first in the Pac-12 with 85 assists on the season. She has had six or more assists in each of the last four games for the Utes.
• Brynna Maxwell continues to shine for the Utes. She is one of the best three-pointer shooters in the country. She leads the team in made threes this season with 38, the second-best mark in the Pac-12. Over her three years, Maxwell has made 164 threes, which is the eighth-most in program history.
Following Sunday's matchup, Utah stays on the road and will face the University of Oregon in its rescheduled match on Wednesday, Jan. 26. The game will be held at Matthew Knight Arena and tip at 12 p.m. MT.
FOLLOW THE UTES!
Fans can follow along during the 2021-22 season on social media (Twitter: @UtahWBB | Instagram: @UtahWBB | Facebook: Facebook.com/UtahWBB).