Cal Opens Road Stretch At No. 7 UCLA
BERKELEY – The California men's basketball team will play its first of three consecutive road games against No. 7 UCLA at Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles on Thursday night. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m. PT and the game will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.
Cal (9-10, 2-6 Pac-12) is seeking its first win since Jan. 2 as it faces UCLA for the second time in the past five games. The Golden Bears came up just short against the then-No. 5 Bruins (13-2, 5-1), 60-52, on Jan. 8 in Berkeley.
UCLA's fan attendance policy can be viewed on UCLABruins.com.
- Date & Time: Thursday, Jan. 27 | 6 p.m. PT
- Watch: Pac-12 Network | Ted Robinson (PxP) & Bill Walton (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Cal is slated to play five games in 10 days from Jan. 27-Feb. 5, including three on the road at No. 7 UCLA, No. 15 USC and Stanford.
- The Bears are winless away from home so far this season, going 0-4 in true road games and 0-2 in neutral-site contests.
- In its loss to UCLA on Jan. 8, Cal held the Bruins to a season-low point total (60), more than 18 points under their current season average.
- The Bears' last win against an AP Top-10 squad was on Feb. 1, 2014 when they knocked off No. 1 Arizona, 60-58, in Berkeley on Justin Cobbs' game-winner with 0.9 seconds remaining.
- Despite allowing 96 points to national scoring leader No. 3 Arizona last Sunday, Cal is among the Pac-12's best defensive teams, statistically, ranking third in scoring defense (64.5), second in 3-point field-goal percentage defense (30.1%) and fourth in overall field-goal percentage defense (40.9%). Cal's defensive percentages (46.9% field-goal defense and 30.1% 3-point field-goal defense) are its best figures under head coach Mark Fox (since 2019-20).
- Cal is 7-1 when its veteran trio of Jordan Shepherd (14.7 points per game), Andre Kelly (13.9) and Grant Anticevich (11.1) score 10-plus points in the same game. Shepherd has scored in double figures in 13 straight games and leads Cal with 16.5 PPG in Pac-12 play.
- Andre Kelly scored 22 points on 11-14 shooting in the first meeting between Cal and UCLA this season. Kelly has seven double-doubles and is among Pac-12 leaders in rebounds per game (8.7, second), field-goal percentage (59.8%, third) and points per game (14.2, ninth).
- Cal has won the rebounding battle 12 times this season but is looking to be better of late, having been outrebounded four times in the past five games. The Bears are fourth in the Pac-12 in defensive rebounds per game (27.26). Their most recent rebounding win was a 37-27 effort against UCLA on Jan. 8.
The Bears will face No. 15 USC at 4 p.m. Saturday at the Galen Center in Los Angeles. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.
For further coverage of Cal men's basketball, follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).