Strong in Singles
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - No. 16 Stanford rattled off four straight singles victories in a matter of minutes to rally past Arkansas on Friday in the opening round of the ITA Kickoff Weekend. The Cardinal advances to face host and No. 9 ranked Virginia on Saturday afternoon for a spot at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships next month.
Stanford dropped the doubles point with 6-3 losses on courts one and two. The Cardinal knew it could rely on its singles though, highlighted by first set wins on five of the six courts. Facing a 2-0 deficit after a loss on court four, Angelica Blake cruised on court three for Stanford's first win, followed quickly by Sara Choy on six, Alexandra Yepifanova on two and Valencia Xu on five for the clinch.
No. 16 Stanford 4, Arkansas 2
1. Morgan Cross/Tatum Rice (ARK) d. #38 Angelica Blake/Connie Ma (STAN) 6-3
2. Lenka Stara/Laura Rijkers (ARK) d. Valencia Xu/Alexandra Yepifanova (STAN) 6-3
3. Ana Geller/Niluka Madurawe (STAN) vs. Kelly Keller/Indianna Spink (ARK) 5-4 DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. #9 Connie Ma (STAN) vs. Tatum Rice (ARK) 7-6(2), 2-0 DNF
2. #21 Alexandra Yepifanova (STAN) d. Indianna Spink (ARK) 7-5, 6-1
3. Angelica Blake (STAN) d. Kelly Keller (ARK) 6-0, 6-2
4. Lenka Stara (ARK) d. Ana Geller (STAN) 6-3, 6-0
5. Valencia Xu (STAN) d. Morgan Cross (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
6. Sara Choy (STAN) d. Laura Rijkers (ARK) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 6, 2, 5