Men's Tennis Improves to 5-0 on the Season
LOS ANGELES – The Utah men's tennis team improved to 5-0 on the season after defeating UC Santa Barbara 4-1 on Saturday afternoon at the LMU Tennis Center.
The Utes came out early and looked to win its fifth doubles point of the season. Jayson Blando and Mathias Gavelin came up with a 6-2 win in No. 3 doubles. UCSB answered back, winning No. 1 doubles and tying doubles. The winner of No. 2 doubles would earning the doubles point. The Utes team of Franco Capalbo and Geronimo Espin Busleiman came out on top, winning 6-3 and giving Utah the doubles point.
Heading to singles, the Gauchos tied the match at 1-1 after winning No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-1. With the match tied at 1-1, Utah's Francisco Bastias put Utah ahead for good. Bastias came away with a 6-1, 6-0 victory in No. 2 singles. Geronimo Espin Busleiman followed with a 6-3, 6-1 win in No. 3 singles over Victor Krustev, putting the Utes ahead 3-1.
Needing one more point to clinch the match, Utah's captain came through. Capalbo earned a 6-3, 6-2 victory in No. 1 singles, clinching the match for the Utes and moving the Utes to 5-0 on the season.
The Utes Bruno Caula led 6-4, 5-4 in his match, No. 4 singles, but the match went unfinished. Mathias Gavelin's match in No. 5 singles also would go unfinished as well.
UTAH 4, UCSB 1
Singles (6, 2, 3, 1)
- Franco Capalbo (UU) def. Phillip Jordan (UCSB), 6-3, 6-2
- Francisco Bastias (UU) def. Stefano Tsorotitis (UCSB), 6-1, 6-0
- Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UU) def. Victor Krustev (UCSB), 6-3, 6-1
- Bruno Caula (UU) vs. Pablo Masjuan (UCSB), 6-4, 5-4 unfinished
- Mathias Gavelin (UU) vs. Kai Brady (UCSB), 3-6, 5-6 unfinished
- Gianluca Brunkow (UCSB) def. Bruno Krenn (UU), 6-0, 6-1
- Phillip Jordan/Kai Brady (UCSB) def. Bruno Caula/Francisco Bastias (UU), 6-4
- Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UU) def. Gianluca Brunkow/Victor Krustev (UCSB), 6-3
- Jayson Blando/Mathias Gavelin (UU) def. Stefano Tsorotitis/Pablo Masjuan (UCSB), 6-2
The Utes remain in Los Angeles to face Loyola Marymount on Sunday. First serve is set for 1 p.m. MT. from the LMU Tennis Center.
FOLLOW THE UTES!
Fans can follow along during the 2022 season on social media (Twitter: @UtahTennis | Instagram: @UtahTennis | Facebook: Facebook.com/Utahmenstennis).