Skip to main content

Runnin' Utes Drop Double OT Thriller to Huskies

Jan 29, 2022

SEATTLE – The Utah men's basketball team dropped a thrilling double-overtime game Saturday evening against Washington 77-73 inside Alaska Airlines Arena.
The Utes took an early 7-6 lead in the first half before Washington went on a 13-5 run to take the 19-12 edge at the under-eight media break (7:49) off a pair of short runs. However, Utah answered with an 8-0 run of its own to take a 20-19 lead with the help of the Huskies' before consecutive 3-pointers from UW put the home team back on top 25-20 and forced a Utah timeout with 5:07 left in the first half.
Utah (8-14, 1-11 Pac-12) fought back and got within 30-28 of Washington after Lazar Stefanovic knocked down a straightaway 3-pointer with the shot clock winding down but a last second triple from UW's Terrell Brown Jr. saw the Runnin' Utes head into the locker room down 34-30.
Marco Anthony opened the second frame with a nice floater in the lane for Utah, but a quick 6-0 run by Washington (11-8, 6-3 Pac-12) forced a Utah timeout. The Runnin' Utes played with much more urgency out of the timeout as Both Gach found a trailing Gabe Madsen for the transition three to kick-start an 11-0 run for the 43-40 lead with 13:10 left to go. That lead for Utah was once again short-lived as Brown Jr. got to the basket on back-to-back possession to go back on top 44-43 at the 11:41 media break.
Anthony flex his muscles in the paint and went back-to-back possessions with and-1 plays to give the Utes a 49-46 lead, Utah's largest of the game at that point. Washington again regained the 52-51 lead before Rollie Worster found Anthony for a mid-range jumper and 53-52 edge to force another UW timeout with 4:00 minutes left to play. After UW tied things up at 59-59 with 16.5 ticks left to go, Gach had chance to end the game in regulation but his floater was just short.
Branden Carlson, who had a team-high 18 points on 7-of-13 shooting, opened the first OT period with four-straight points before a pair of free throws from Gach put the Utes ahead 65-61. Five-straight points from Washington coupled with three Utah turnovers allowed the Huskies to tie take a 66-65 edge before Anthony found Carlson for the 3-pointer from the top of the key. However, UW's Brown Jr. did it again and sent the game into a second overtime (68-68).
Daejon Davis opened the second OT with a three and Cole Bajema followed with one of us own to put the home team ahead 74-69 and never looked back as UW was able to hold Utah defensively for the 77-73 victory.
The Runnin' Utes now head home to play host to the Oregon school with Oregon State up first on Thursday, Feb. 3, at 7 p.m. (MT) on ESPNU with Dave Feldman and Adrian Branch walking fans through the action.
For the latest news and information on the Runnin' Utes men's basketball program, fans can stay connected online at and on social media by following @UtahMBB on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.