Ducks Come up Short to No. 9 Longhorns
AUSTIN, Texas – The Oregon men's tennis team battled No. 9 Texas but came up short, falling 4-0 today in the ITA Kickoff Weekend tournament.
The Ducks No. 17 ranked doubles team of Joshua Charlton and Quinn Vandecasteele started the day with a win for Oregon, defeating No. 13 ranked Ciamarra/Harper 6-4. The Longhorns took the point after Ivailo Keremedchiev and Jesper Klov-Nilsson (6-4), and Luke Vandecasteele and Ryoma Matsushita (6-3) each fell in their doubles matches.
With ground to make up in singles play, Oregon hung tough with the top-ten ranked Longhorns. Texas got their second point of the day after Q. Vandecasteele was defeated 6-2, 6-1 by No. 20 ranked Micah Braswell. No. 73 ranked Cleeve Harper of UT defeated L. Vandecasteele for the third point, but the other matches were being stretched to a third set.
The fourth and clinching point of the match came when Chih Chi Huang won the third set vs. Matsushita (6-1, 4-6, 6-1). Oregon's remaining three matches would go unfished, but the Ducks were battling. Charlton's match stopped in a tied third set, Keremedchiev was going the distance and Klov-Nilsson was leading 5-4 in the third.
Oregon 0, Texas 4
1. #17 Joshua Charlton/Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) def. #13 Richard Ciamarra/Cleeve Harper (UT) 6-4
2. Siem Woldeab/Pierre-Yves Bailly (UT) def. Ivailo Keremedchiev/Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) 6-4
3. Micah Braswell/Chih Chi Huang (UT) def. Luke Vandecasteele/Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) 6-3
1. Pierre-Yves Bailly (UT) vs. Joshua Charlton (ORE) 6-4, 3-6, 3-3, unfinished
2. #20 Micah Braswell (UT) def. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) 6-2, 6-1
3. Richard Ciamarra (UT) vs. Ivailo Keremedchiev (ORE) 3-6, 7-6 (9-7), 4-2, unfinished
4. #105 Siem Woldeab (UT) vs. Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) 3-6, 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
5. #73 Cleeve Harper (UT) def. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) 6-2, 6-4
6. Chih Chi Huang (UT) def. Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,5,6)
Up Next: The Ducks host Northwestern on February 11 at 1 p.m. PT.