Utah Downs LMU, 4-3; Improve to 6-0
LOS ANGELES – Franco Capalbo clinched the sixth straight victory for the Utah men's tennis team on Sunday afternoon. The Utes defeated Loyola Marymount, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 on the season.
The Utes got off to a fast start in doubles as Bruno Caula and Francisco Bastias won in straight set, 6-0, in No. 1 doubles. After the doubles were tied at 1-1, the doubles point came down to Geronimo Espin Busleiman and Franco Capalbo. Utah's duo came up clinch as they won 6-4, putting the Utes ahead 1-0. Utah has not dropped a double point this season.
LMU tied the match at 1-1 after taking No. 5 singles. Busleiman followed and put the Utes ahead 2-1 after winning No. 3 singles. Busleiman won the first set 6-1 over Dane Esses. Needing the set second for the point, Busleiman came away with a 7-5 victory.
The match would be tied at 2-2 a few minutes later as LMU took No. 6 singles. Utah bounced back, taking a 3-2 lead after Francisco Bastias finished in No. 2 singles. Bastias took the first set 6-3, over Manoel De Alencar. He followed, winning the second set 6-2.
Needing one of the final two matches to win the match, the Utes were looking at Bruno Caula or Franco Capalbo to win the match. Caula won his first set but dropped set number two, going to a third set. Arthur Pantino pulled out the third set, 6-3, tying the match at 3-3.
With only one match left, Utah was counting on Capalbo to keep the winning streak alive. In a highly contested first set, Capalbo edged Rana-Roop Bhullar 7-6 (4), taking the first set. Capalbo followed with a 6-4 second set win, clinching the match for the Utes.
UTAH 4, LMU 3
- Franco Capalbo (UU) def. Rana-Roop Bhullar (LMU), 7-6 (4), 6-4
- Francisco Bastias (UU) def. Manoel De Alencar (LMU), 6-3, 6-2
- Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UU) def. Dane Esses (LMU), 6-1, 7-5
- Arthur Pantino (LMU) def. Bruno Caula (UU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Emin Torlic (LMU) def. Mathias Gavelin (UU), 6-1, 6-2
- Austin Di Giulio (LMU) def. Bruno Krenn (UU), 6-3, 6-4
- Bruno Caula/Francisco Bastias (UU) def. Daniel Moreno/Jose Dominiquez (LMU), 6-0
- Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UU) def. Manoel De Alencar/Rana-Roop Bhullar (LMU), 6-4
- Thien Nguyen/Emin Torlic (LMU) def. Jayson Blando/Mathias Gavelin (UU), 6-3
Utah returns home to face Loyola Marymount on Friday, Feb. 4. The first serve will be at 1 p.m. MT from the George S. Eccles Tennis Center.
FOLLOW THE UTES!
Fans can follow along during the 2022 season on social media (Twitter: @UtahTennis | Instagram: @UtahTennis | Facebook: Facebook.com/Utahmenstennis).