Strong Field Awaits Ducks in Hawaii
EUGENE, Ore. - The Oregon men's golf team will open the 2022 spring season facing six of the top 10 teams in the country Thursday through Saturday at the Amer Ari Intercollegiate.
The Ducks are in a 19-team field that includes No. 2 North Carolina, No. 3 Arizona State, No. 4 Oklahoma State, No. 6 Pepperdine, No. 7 Stanford and No. 8 Texas.
Other ranked opponents in action at Hapuna Golf Club in Waimea, Hawaii, include No. 18 Auburn, UC Davis, No. 20 Georgia Tech, Hawai'i, Hawai'i-Hilo, Oregon State, Pacific, San Jose State, Texas Christian, No. 11 Texas Tech, UCLA and No. 21 Washington.
Oregon closed out the fall with an impressive victory at the Saint Mary's Invitational Nov, 8-10. The Ducks rallied over the final two holes to top No.6 Stanford by two strokes.
• The Ducks' last victory prior to Saint Mary's was a tie for the title at the 2018 Duck Invitational. It was Oregon's first win at Saint Mary's since 2011.
• Owen Avrit has had seven rounds under par in 12 total rounds during the fall, including a career-low 64 at the Maui Jim Invitational.
• Greg Solhaug recorded his best career finish at Saint Mary's, tying for fifth at 4-under 209.
• Craig Ronne led Oregon in scoring averging during the fall at 69.56. Owen Avrit (70.25), Greg Solhaug (71.33), Greyson Leach (71.44) and Nate Stember (71.83) were also below 72.00.
• Freshman Greyson Leach tied for first at the Husky Individual Invitational, shooting a 10-under 206 (68-68-70).
• The Ducks carded the third-lowest score in program history, 820 (20-under), at the season-opening Maui Jim Invitational. Oregon was -27 for the last two rounds.
• Oregon returns six of its top seven golfers from last season's NCAA Regional qualifying team. That includes Tom Gueant (71.45 scoring average), Yuki Moriyama (72.16), Nate Stember (73.00), Owen Avrit (73.32), Craig Ronne (73.88) and Greg Solhaug (74.63).