Cal Closes Homestand Against Washington State
BERKELEY – California wraps up its two-game homestand when it faces Washington State at 1 p.m. PT on Saturday at Haas Pavilion. The Pac-12 men's basketball contest will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
The game is Cal's third this week and fifth in a 10-day span since Jan. 27. The Golden Bears (9-14, 2-10 Pac-12) are looking to snap a nine-game skid that goes back to Jan. 6. After a gritty 57-50 loss at rival Stanford on Tuesday, Cal fell to Washington, 84-63, at home on Thursday. Washington State (13-7, 6-3) is carrying a four-game win streak into Berkeley.
All fans 3 and older must either show proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter the facility.
- Date & Time: Saturday, Feb. 5 | 1 p.m. PT
- Watch: Pac-12 Network | Roxy Bernstein (PxP) & Don MacLean (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM (Tune-In App) | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Cal announced Friday that senior forward Andre Kelly is expected to miss the remainder of the season with an ankle injury that he suffered at USC on Jan. 29. Kelly, who has averaged 13.4 points and 8.4 rebounds per game this season, played in the first 113 games of his college career before suffering the injury.
- Cal has lost three straight games to Washington State, including a 65-57 defeat in Pullman on Jan. 15. The Bears earned a season sweep of the Cougars in 2019-20 and own an 82-57 all-time advantage in the head-to-head series.
- Jordan Shepherd has scored in double figures in 15 of the past 17 games and 18 times this season. He's Cal's leading scorer with 14.0 points per game and has scored 14.5 PPG in Pac-12 play.
- Cal limited Stanford to 57 points Tuesday, marking the ninth time the Bears have held their opponent to 60 points or less this season.
- Among Pac-12 teams, Cal is third in 3-point field-goal percentage defense (31.2%), fifth in scoring defense (66.3) and seventh in field-goal percentage defense (42.3%).
- Cal is 9-5 at home this season, having reeled off nine consecutive wins at Haas Pavilion from Nov. 15-Jan. 2.
- The trio of Jalen Celestine, Kuany Kuany and Sam Alajiki have played key roles for the Bears down the stretch of this season. Celestine is fourth on the team with 7.3 PPG in Pac-12 play, Kuany is averaging 5.7 PPG in his past eight games and Alajiki is shooting a scorching 60.7 percent (17-28) from 3-point range this season.
The Bears travel north to face Oregon State at 8 p.m. PT on Wednesday, Feb. 9 in Corvallis. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
For further coverage of Cal men's basketball, follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).