Cal Posts Big Win Over No. 23 UCLA
BERKELEY – Yuta Kikuchi completed an impressive victory for the California men's tennis team, as the senior defeated Drew Baird at court-one singles in the Golden Bears' 4-0 win over No. 23 UCLA on Saturday at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
Kikuchi prevailed, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4, over Baird, and the Bears' improved their record to 3-1. The Bruins are now 2-2.
"I'm extremely proud of a win over UCLA, one of the most well-coached teams and one of the most successful programs in college tennis," said Kris Kwinta, Cal's Peter Wright Director of Men's Tennis. "The guys executed really well. We had great energy going into the match. We played really good doubles and used that momentum in singles and never let up. The guys stuck together and were really vocal."
In doubles, Kikuchi paired with Carl Emil Overbeck to beat Alexander Hoogmartens and Bryce Pereira, 6-4, and then Sean Hill and Lucas Magnaudet knocked off Baird and Max Wild, 6-3, to clinch the point.
Overbeck soon gave Cal a 2-0 lead when the freshman bested 96th-ranked Stefan Leustian, 6-1, 6-4, at court-four singles. Cal sophomore Lucas Magnaudet followed with a 7-6(2), 6-0 win over Jeffrey Fradkin on court six to make the overall score 3-0.
The remaining four matches went to third sets, and Cal freshman Derrick Chen trailed Karl Lee, 5-3, in the third set on court five, before Kikuchi ended the match.
Added Kwinta, "Hopefully this feels good for a few hours, and then we have to get ready for the Trojans."
Cal hosts eighth-ranked USC on Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
California (3-1) defeated No. 23 UCLA (2-2), 4-0
Feb. 5, 2022, in Berkeley Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. No. 15 Yuta Kikuchi/Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal) def. Alexander Hoogmartens/Bryce Pereira (UCLA), 6-4
2. Sean Hill/Lucas Magnaudet (Cal) def. Drew Baird/Max Wild (UCLA), 6-3*
3. Alex Chang/Philip Hjorth (Cal) vs. Karl Lee/Giacomo Revelli (UCLA), 5-5 (Unfinished)
Order of Finish - 1, 2*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Yuta Kikuchi (Cal) def. Drew Baird (UCLA), 6-2, 2-6, 6-4^
2. Philip Hjorth (Cal) vs. No. 41 Alexander Hoogmartens (UCLA), 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (Unfinished)
3. Sean Hill (Cal) vs. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA), 7-6(2), 4-6, 1-3 (Unfinished)
4. Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal) def. No. 96 Stefan Leustian (UCLA), 6-1, 6-4
5. Derrick Chen (Cal) vs. Karl Lee (UCLA), 6-2, 4-6, 3-5 (Unfinished)
6. Lucas Magnaudet (Cal) def. Jeffrey Fradkin (UCLA), 7-6(2), 6-0
Order of Finish - 4, 6, 1^
^Clinched the overall match