No. 23 UCLA Falls to No. 12 Stanford, 6-1
STANFORD, Calif. – The visiting No. 23 UCLA men's tennis team fell to No. 12 Stanford, 6-1, in a non-conference matchup Sunday afternoon at Taube Family Tennis Center.
Karl Lee earned a singles win to account for the Bruins' point after the match was decided. He also teamed with Giacomo Revelli for a victory in doubles play, but the Cardinal (5-0) ultimately prevailed in a tiebreaker to get on the scoreboard first. Max Basing notched the deciding win for Stanford. UCLA dropped to 2-3 with the loss.
The eighth-ranked tandem of Arthur Fery and Alexandre Rotsaert logged a 6-3 result against Drew Baird and Alexander Hoogmartens to give Stanford the edge to start doubles play. Lee and Revelli answered, though, taking the final two games from Timothy Sah and Sangeet Sridhar to finalize their 6-4 answer on Court 3. That left the point to be decided on Court 2, where the match went the distance. In a back-and-forth tiebreaker, it was the pair of Axel Geller and Tomas Kopczynski that prevailed for the Cardinal, taking the final two points from Jeffrey Fradkin and Bryce Pereira for an 8-6 tally.
In singles play, Stanford quickly moved toward the overall victory with a pair of straight-set wins. Rotsaert handed No. 41 Hoogmartens a 6-2, 6-1 defeat on Court 2 and Sridhar bounced back from his doubles loss to dispatch of No. 96 Stefan Leustian by a 6-4, 6-0 score.
Basing fought back from a 3-5 second-set deficit against Revelli on Court 3 to record a 6-2, 7-5 victory, clinching the win for the Cardinal.
Lee notched first-set win on Court 4, but Sridhar responded to force a third. With the overall result already decided, the counterparts entered into a first-to-10 tiebreaker. There, Lee doubled up Sridhar for his second singles victory of the dual-match campaign.v
Fradkin responded in his second set on Court 6, edging out Kopczynski in a tiebreaker to ensure another. Kopczynski controlled the 10-point final set, however, posting a 6-2, 6-7(7), 1-0(3) win.
The marquee matchup on the top court lived up to its billing, with the seventh-ranked Fery barely getting past Baird in a first-set tiebreaker before narrowly taking the second for a 7-6(8), 7-5 result.
The Bruins return to Los Angeles Tennis Center for its next match, Sunday, Feb. 13 against UC Irvine. First serve in that one is set for 12 p.m. PT.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs Stanford
2/6/2022 at Stanford, CA
(Taube Family Tennis Center)
#12 Stanford 6, #23 UCLA 1
1. #7 Arthur Fery (STAN) def. Drew Baird (UCLA) 7-6 (10-8), 7-5
2. Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) def. #41 A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) 6-2, 6-1
3. Max Basing (STAN) def. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) 6-2, 7-5
4. Karl Lee (UCLA) def. Aryan Chaudhary (STAN) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Sangeet Sridhar (STAN) def. #96 Stefan Leustian (UCLA) 6-4, 6-0
6. Tomas Kopczynski (STAN) def. Jeffrey Fradkin (UCLA) 6-2, 6-7 (7-9), 1-0 (10-3)
1. #8 Arthur Fery/Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) def. Drew Baird/A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) 6-3
2. Axel Geller/Tomas Kopczynski (STAN) def. Jeffrey Fradkin/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) 7-6 (8-6)
3. Karl Lee/Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) def. Timothy Sah/Sangeet Sridhar (STAN) 6-4
UCLA 2-3; National ranking #23
Stanford 5-0; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,5,3,4,6,1)