No. 8 USC Men’s Tennis Comes Back To Beat Cal In Berkeley
BERKELEY, CALIF. — The No. 8 USC men's tennis team constructed a comeback win in Berkeley today, turning an early deficit into a 4-2 Trojan victory over host California. USC lost the doubles point for the first time this season, but quickly regrouped and notched a string of straight-set singles wins to move into winning position. Lodewijk Weststrate came through with the clincher, and USC improved to 5-1 overall on the year.
Cal scooped up the doubles point with a couple 6-2 scores at the top spots. USC's Paul Barretto and Ryder Jackson stumbled on court two to Cal's Hill/Magnaudet. And on court one, USC's #10 Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye took their first dual-match loss of the year with a 6-2 defeat at the hands of the Bears' #15 Kikuchi/Overbeck.
USC would regroup in singles, storming into the lead after freshman Ryan Colby provided a spark with the equalizer from court six. Colby took down Cal's Lucas Magnaudet 6-3, 6-2 to make it 1-1, and then fellow freshman #35 Peter Makk nudged USC into the lead with a smooth 6-3, 6-0 victory over Carl Emil Overbeck at the No. 4 spot. Next up was another Trojan newcomer coming through with a W, as Wojtek Marek built a 3-1 lead for his Trojans on a 6-2, 6-1 win over Phillip Hjorth on court two. That left a trio of tight battles going strong, and Cal captured the first of those with Sean Hill topped USC's #70 Bradley Frye 7-6 (4), 7-5 on court three. With a tense 3-2 Trojan lead on the board, USC saw sophomore #40 Lodewijk Weststrate clean things up with his 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 clincher on court five over Cal's Derrick Chen. That secure the 4-2 win for the Trojans and suspended action on court one with a three-set battle raging between USC's #6 Dostanic and Cal's Yuta Kikuchi.
USC has a break from competition next week in prep for a trip to Seattle the following week. There, the Trojans will take on Portland on Feb. 15 before engaging in action at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships Feb. 18-21.
#8 USC 4, California 2
Feb. 6, 2022 | Berkeley, Calif.
(1) #15 Kikuchi/Overbeck (CAL) def. #10 Dostanic/Frye (USC) - 6-2
(2) Hill/Magnaudet (CAL) def. Barretto/Jackson (USC) - 6-2
(3) Makk/Marek (USC) vs. Chang/Hjorth (CAL) - 4-2 susp.
Order of finish: 2, 1,
Cal wins doubles point.
(1) #6 Stefan Dostanic (USC) vs. Yuta Kikuchi (CAL) - 0-6, 6-4, 4-5 susp.
(2) Wojtek Marek (USC) def. Phillip Hjorth (CAL) - 6-2, 6-1
(3) Sean Hill (CAL) def. #70 Bradley Frye (USC) - 7-6 (4), 7-5
(4) #35 Peter Makk (USC) def. Carl Emil Overbeck (CAL) - 6-3, 6-0
(5) #40 Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. Derrick Chen (CAL) - 6-4, 2-6, 6-2*
(6) Ryan Colby (USC) def. Lucas Magnaudet (CAL) - 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 3, 5*