#3 Utah Gymnastics Heads To Bay Area, Competes at #11 California This Saturday
Third-ranked Utah Gymnastics continues its road swing this weekend, traveling to No. 11 California this Saturday, Feb. 12. The battle of the two undefeated Pac-12 teams is slated to begin at 5 p.m. MT at Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, Calif. The meet will be live streamed.
IN THE RANKINGS
Utah remained ranked third in the nation through the fifth week of competition. The Red Rocks improved their ranking on three of four events and are ranked No. 3 on vault, No. 3 on floor, No. 4 on bars, and No. 6 on beam. Leading the individual rankings for the Red Rocks is Maile O'Keefe, who is ranked No. 4 on beam and No. 12 in the all-around, along with Cristal Isa, who ranks No. 7 on beam. Grace McCallum and Cammy Hall are tied for No. 18 in the nation on vault, while Jillian Hoffman is No. 18 on floor.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Utah has scored a 49.0 or better on every event in 17 consecutive meets, which is the nation's longest active streak. The second-longest streak is Michigan, which has posted eight consecutive meets of 49-plus on every event.
• Utah has won 16 consecutive regular season conference meets and has not lost a Pac-12 meet since Feb. 23, 2019.
• Utah posted the nation's highest beam score against Stanford with a 49.725.
• Utah posted the nation's third-best vault score against UCLA with a 49.550 and third-best bars score with a 49.550.
• Grace McCallum scored her first career Perfect 10 last weekend against UCLA on bars. The perfect score on bars is just one of four in the nation this season with three of the four coming from members of Team USA at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, while the fourth was earned by the team's alternate.
• Maile O'Keefe posted a Perfect 10 on beam against Stanford and became just the seventh Ute in history to record two perfect scores on the apparatus.
• Cristal Isa, a two-time All-American on beam, has recorded a 9.90 or better on every beam routine this season.
• Utah has hit 113-120 routines this season. Gymnasts who have hit every routine are Maile O'Keefe (15-15), Cristal Isa (11-11), Amelie Morgan (10-10), Jillian Hoffman (8-8), Sydney Soloski (5-5), Sage Thompson (5-5), Cammy Hall (4-4), and Kara Eaker (2-2).
• Individual event winners this season are McCallum (7), Isa (4), O'Keefe (3), Burch (2), Stanhope (2), Hoffman (1), Rucker (1), and Thompson (1).
• Pac-12 weekly award winners this season are: Gymnast of the Week: Isa (Jan. 11), O'Keefe (Feb. 1); Specialist of the Week: Rucker (Jan. 11), Thompson (Jan. 18), Hoffman (Jan. 25), Isa (Feb. 1); Freshman of the Week: Morgan (Jan. 11), McCallum (Jan. 18); and Coaches Choice: Hoffman (Jan. 11).
Utah leads the all-time series with California 28-2, which includes a 7-1 mark in Berkeley. The Utes have won the last eight meetings with the last loss coming in Berkeley in 2018. The Red Rocks downed California twice last season, first picking up the win 197.375-197.125 in Salt Lake City before besting the Golden Bears at the Pac-12 Championships 197.725-197.375. In 2020, Utah defeated Cal in Berkeley after the squads were tied through three rotations. Utah posted a 49.625 on beam to win thanks to three 9.95s from Maile O'Keefe, Abby Paulson and Adrienne Randall, along with a 9.90 from Cristal Isa and 9.875 from Alexia Burch.
Co-Head Coach: Justin Howell
Co-Head Coach: Liz Crandall-Howell
2022 Ranking: 11
2021 Final Ranking: 7
Notes: Cal is coming off a seventh place finish at the 2021 NCAA Championships and was the Pac-12 runner-ups behind Utah both in the regular season and Pac-12 Championships … Cal is undefeated this season (4-0) and has posted a season-high 197.350, which came in the win over Oregon State … Cal is ranked No. 6 on bars, No. 14 on vault, No. 15 on floor and No. 17 on beam … Andi Li is ranked No. 18 in the all-around with a season-best 39.525, while she is No. 12 on bars.
Utah Gymnastics will return to the friendly confines of the Jon M. Huntsman Center on Friday, Feb. 18, to take on Oregon State. The Utes and Beavers will compete at 6 p.m. MT and will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks. The meet's theme will be Olympian Day with current and former Red Rocks Olympians to be honored. Tickets can be purchased here.