Starkey Selected For Durham Voice Of College Sports Award
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Cal football radio play-by-play broadcaster Joe Starkey has been selected by the National Sports Media Association as the winner of the 2022 Woody Durham Voice of College Sports Award. The honor sponsored by Learfield and the North Carolina athletics department will be presented during the 62nd NSMA awards banquet in Winston-Salem, N.C., on June 27, 2022.
"Many thanks to all who are responsible for granting me this huge honor," Starkey said in a National Sports Media Association press release. "College Sports is filled with talented and dedicated broadcasters whose primary goal is to provide the most complete and entertaining description they can possibly deliver in the craziness that can often be part of football, basketball, or other collegiate rivalries. It's a great honor to be included in such distinct company."
Below are notes on Starkey.
Joe Starkey, Cal Football Radio Play-By-Play Broadcaster
– Has spent the past 47 seasons as a member of the Cal football radio broadcast team and been on the radio broadcast for 538 of the 545 Cal games since beginning his tenure in 1975
– Inducted into the California Athletics Hall of Fame as a member of the class of 2018
– Home radio booth at FTX Field at California Memorial Stadium was named the Joe Starkey Broadcast Booth in his honor in November 2016
– Received the Chris Schenkel Award from the National Football Foundation in 2010 for his distinguished career broadcasting college football
– Has had an array of broadcasting positions throughout his career including a 20-year run with the San Francisco 49ers that he fulfilled in conjunction with his Cal duties from 1989-2008
– Arguably best known for his radio call of "The Play" in 1982 including his emotional "the band is on the field" to describe Cal's five-lateral kickoff return for a game-winning touchdown against Stanford in the Big Game