Men’s Tennis Stretches Win Streak to Six
STANFORD, Calif. – No. 8 Stanford men's tennis continued its winning ways, posting its sixth consecutive victory to open the season against UC Davis, 4-0.
Stanford got out to an early lead with a sweep in the doubles matches. Tomas Kopczynski and Sangeet Sridhar were first in the books with a 6-1 win, while the seventh-ranked tandem of Alexandre Rotsaert and Arthur Fery – who also rose to the nation's top singles player on Wednesday – posted a similar 6-1 win on court one.
The momentum carried into singles, with Timothy Sah and Max Basing finishing within seconds of each other to give Stanford a 3-0 lead. Sridhar and Rotsaert fought through tiebreakers in their first sets, while Aryan Chaudhary posted a second set win to force a third set on court three. Kopczynski, though, sealed the win with the clinching point, scoring a 7-5, 6-4 triumph on court six.
Stanford remains at home on Saturday, Feb. 12 against rival California. First serve is set for 1 p.m.
No. 8 Stanford 4, UC Davis 0
1) No. 7 Fery/Rotsaert (STAN) d. Davis/Volgin (UCD), 6-1
2) No. 51 Basing/Sah (STAN) led Brinkman/Necz (UCD), 5-1 uf
3) Kopczynski/Sridhar (STAN) d. Hootman/Torres (UCD), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1) No. 38 Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) led Andrei Volgin (UCD), 7-6 (5), 3-2
2) No. 49 Max Basing (STAN) d. Ryan Torres (UCD), 6-2, 6-1
3) No. 108 Aryan Chaudhary (STAN) led Andras Necz (UCD), 1-6, 6-2, 2-0
4) Sangeet Sridhar (STAN) led Brett Brinkman (UCD), 7-6 (4), 2-3
5) Timothy Sah (STAN) d. Mitchell Davis (UCD), 6-1, 6-3
6) Tomas Kopczynski (STAN) d. Coleton Hootman (UCD), 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 6