Men’s Tennis Improves to 11-0 on Season After Pair of Victories
Salt Lake City – The Utah men's tennis closed out this weekend after a doubleheader against Boise State and Nevada. The squad took the victory in the match against Boise State and another against Nevada, boasting an 11-0 undefeated record for the season. This ties the best start in program history.
MATCH #1 – Boise State
The Utes secured the doubles point after two tough and very close matches. On court one, Franco Capalbo and Geronimo Espin Busleiman defeated the Bronco duo 6-3, giving the Utes some leverage on the point. On courts two and three, matches got so close that both courts went into tiebreaker sets almost simultaneously. On court two, Utes Francisco Bastias and Bruno Caula were able to take the upper hand and finished 7-6 (5), awarding the Utes with their first match point. On court three, Mathias Gavelin and Jayson Blando were battling it out against BSU's Michael Bott and Ryo Minakata, but their match was unfinished.
As the match moved into singles, the Broncos secured their first point on court four, where Caula fell to Jan Lucca Marquardt 6-3, 6-2.
Utah's second match point came on court two, where Bastias took the upper hand against BSU's Simon Arca Costas 6-2, 6-4. Shortly following, Espin Busleiman also won on court three, finishing 6-4, 6-2, and bringing Utah up to three match points.
On court six, the Broncos claimed their second point when Ryo Minakata took down Utah's Jayson Blando for a score of 6-3, 6-2.
As Utah was looking for the last singles victory to clinch the match, Gavelin went into the third set on court five, and Capalbo fought to catch up in his second set. Capalbo had a stellar comeback as he was behind 3-4 in the second set and didn't drop a set until the end of the set, clinching the match and finishing 6-4, 6-4. On court five, Gavelin was up 2-1 in his third set, but the match was unfinished.
MATCH #2 – Nevada
Utah secured the 11th doubles point of the season in their second match of the day. Bastias and Caula defeated the wolf duo on court two in a 6-0 sweep. On court one, Capalbo and Espin Busleiman also downed UN's Matheo Coupu and Juan Batalla, 6-3. On court three, Gavelin and J. Blando fell behind, 4-2, but did not finish the match.
The match moved to singles, and the Utes displayed fantastic performance again. Capalbo breezed through his match on court one, finishing 6-1, 6-2, and awarding Utah with the second match point. Gavelin won his match on court five, defeating UN's Loris Zisswiller 6-1, 6-2.
The match point came on court two when Bastias downed Juan Batalla in a 6-0, 6-3 battle and clinched the match for the Utes. The remaining matches on courts three, four, and six were unfinished.
MATCH #1 – UTAH 4, BOISE STATE 2
- Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. Pedro Liborio (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
- Francisco Bastias (UTAH) def. Simon Arca Costas (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
- Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UTAH) def. Caden Moortgat (BSU) 6-4, 6-2
- Jan Lucca Marquardt (BSU) def. Bruno Caula (UTAH) 6-3, 6-2
- Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) vs James Van Herzeele (BSU) 6-3, 4-6, 2-1, unf.
- Ryo Minakata (BSU) def. Jayson Blando (UTAH) 6-3, 6-2
- Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UTAH) def. Simon Arca Costas/Caden Moortgat (BSU) 6-3
- Francisco Bastias/Bruno Caula (UTAH) def. Jan Lucca Marquadt/James Van Herzeele (BSU) 7-6 (7-5)
- Mathias Gavelin/Jayson Blando (UTAH) vs Michael Bott/Ryo Minakata (BSU) 6-6 (1-4), unf.
MATCH #2 – UTAH 4, NEVADA 0
- Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. Matheo Coupu (UN) 6-1, 6-2
- Francisco Bastias (UTAH) def. Juan Batalla (UN) 6-0, 6-3
- Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UTAH) vs Satchel Benn (UN) 6-6 unf.
- Bruno Caula (UTAH) vs. Delmas N'Tcha (UN) 3-6, 6-1 unf.
- Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Loris Zisswiller (UN) 6-1, 6-2
- Rian Ta (UTAH) vs Ambroise Marchand (UN) 7-5, 2-1 unf.
- Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UTAH) def. Matheo Coupu/Juan Batalla (UN) 6-3
- Francisco Bastias/Bruno Caula (UTAH) def. Daniel Dudockin/Sasha Nicolau (UN) 6-0
- Mathias Gavelin/Jayson Blando (UTAH) vs. Loris Zisswiller/Satchel Benn (UN) 2-4, unf.
The Utes return to action on Sunday, Feb. 20, when they host Drake and Montana State at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center. The Utes will take on Drake at 9 a.m. MT and Montana State at 5 p.m. MT.
FOLLOW THE UTES!
Fans can follow along during the 2022 season on social media (Twitter: @UtahTennis | Instagram: @UtahTennis | Facebook: Facebook.com/Utahmenstennis).