Men's Tennis Posts 7-0 Win Against UC Irvine
LOS ANGELES – Playing at Los Angeles Tennis Center for the first time in 19 days, the UCLA men's tennis team raced past UC Irvine for a 7-0 non-conference win Sunday afternoon.
Five of the six singles decisions were made in straight sets, with Stefan Leustian providing the clinching point. Drew Baird, Alexander Hoogmartens and Patrick Zahraj each earned two wins on the day for the Bruins (3-3). The Anteaters dropped to 1-4 with the loss.
Baird and Hoogmartens collaborated on a dominant performance to set the tone early. The pair, which improved to 4-2 on the season, blitzed Matthew Sah and Thomas Smart, 6-0, on Court 2. Then, with the match on Court 3 knotted at four games apiece, Zahraj and Bryce Pereira closed out their top-court counterparts. The 6-3 victory versus Riccardo Roberto and Lawee Sherif gave UCLA the first point of the day.
Unable to finish his doubles match, Karl Lee picked up his second win in as many tries to get singles scoring started. His 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Mike Mkrtchian doubled the advantage. The 72nd-ranked Hoogmartens, meanwhile, got back to his winning ways on the third singles court, where he dealt Sherif a 6-3, 6-4 loss to make it 3-0 soon after.
On Court 6, Leustian had to come from behind in his second set with Sah. Leustian completed the turnaround, though, and locked up the overall decision with a 6-1, 7-5 showing.
Next off was Baird on the top court, where he notched his first win of the campaign against a nationally-ranked opponent. He beat the 60th-ranked Coste, who spent three seasons at the University of Oregon before transferring to UCI, by a 6-3, 6-2 margin.
On the next court over, Zahraj held off Roberto by taking the final two games for a 6-4, 7-5 win. Zahraj has yet to drop a decision in dual-match play, possessing a 3-0 singles record and a 2-0 doubles mark.
Giacomo Revelli put a bow on the sweep in comeback fashion, defeating Ali Amiri by a 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 score.
The Bruins return to action Friday, when UC Santa Barbara visits Los Angeles Tennis Center for a non-conference matchup. First serve is set for 1 p.m. PT.
Tennis Match Results
UC Irvine vs UCLA
2/13/2022 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
UCLA 7, UC Irvine 0
1. Drew Baird (UCLA) def. #60 Emmanuel Coste (UCI) 6-3, 6-2
2. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) def. Riccardo Roberto (UCI) 6-4, 7-5
3. #72 A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) def. Lawee Sherif (UCI) 6-3, 6-4
4. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) def. Ali Amiri (UCI) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Karl Lee (UCLA) def. Mike Mkrtchian (UCI) 6-2, 6-3
6. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) def. Matthew Sah (UCI) 6-1, 7-5
1. Bryce Pereira/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) def. Riccardo Roberto/Lawee Sherif (UCI) 6-3
2. Drew Baird/A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) def. Matthew Sah/Thomas Smart (UCI) 6-0
3. Karl Lee/Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) vs. Ali Amiri/Emmanuel Coste (UCI) 4-4, unfinished
UC Irvine 1-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,3,6,1,2,4)