#4 Utah Gymnasts Return Home, Host #13 Oregon State Friday Night
No. 4 Utah Gymnastics returns to the Jon M. Huntsman Center this Friday, Feb. 18, to host No. 13 Oregon State before returning to road competition. Utah and Oregon State will compete at 6 p.m. MT in Salt Lake City with introductions set to begin at 5:45 p.m. MT. The meet will be televised on the Pac-12 Network with Jim Watson serving as the play-by-play announcer and Amanda Borden as the analyst. The meet will also be carried on Utah's flagship radio ESPN 700.
FOR THE FANS
This Friday's meet will be Olympian night, Pride night, and Alumni night inside the Huntsman Center. There will be gold medals as a giveaway on the concourse pre-meet, as well as posters for the first 2,000 fans. MyKayla Skinner will also be in the concourse between 4:45-5:45 p.m. signing autographs. New trading cards of three Red Rocks on this year's team will be given out prior to the meet. The Kids Zone will also be open in Portals 14-15 with poster making, a balloon artist, and more. Single meet tickets are available here. Due to the high number of COVID cases in the community, fans are strongly encouraged to wear masks inside the Huntsman Center.
IN THE RANKINGS
Utah slid a spot in the national rankings this week, moving to fourth in the country with a 197.496 season average. Next week, the rankings will move to National Qualifying Score (NQS). A team's NQS is calculated by taking the highest six scores of the season, three of which must be road scores, dropping the high score and averaging the remaining five. Utah is currently ranked third on vault and floor, sixth on bars, and eighth on beam. Maile O'Keefe is third in the nation on beam, while Jillian Hoffman and Sydney Soloski are tied for No. 20 on floor. Grace McCallum is tied for No. 23 on vault.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Utah has scored a 49.0 or better on every event in 18 consecutive meets, which is the nation's longest active streak. The second-longest streak is Michigan, which has posted nine consecutive meets of 49-plus on every event.
• Utah holds the nation's highest beam score with a 49.725, which was recorded against Stanford.
• Maile O'Keefe and Cristal Isa have each scored a 9.90 or better in five of six beam routines this year.
• Amelie Morgan has posted five consecutive routines of 9.90 or better between her two events – bars and beam.
• Jaedyn Rucker's 9.975 on vault against California is the highest vault score in the Pac-12 this season.
• Sydney Soloski has scored a 9.90 or better in four of six floor routines this season.
• Utah has had nine of the 14 gymnasts who have competed at least one routine this season earn an event title.
• Ten Red Rocks have competed at least one floor routine this year.
• The Ute vault lineup has been the same in all but one competition.
• Utah has hit 135-144 routines this season. Gymnasts who have hit every routine are Maile O'Keefe (18-18), Amelie Morgan (12-12), Lucy Stanhope (9-9), Jillian Hoffman (9-9), Sydney Soloski (6-6), Sage Thompson (6-6), Cammy Hall (5-5), and Kara Eaker (2-2).
• Individual event winners this season are Grace McCallum (7), Cristal Isa (4), O'Keefe (4), Alexia Burch (2), Jaedyn Rucker (2), Stanhope (2), Hoffman (1), Soloski (1) and Thompson (1).
• Pac-12 weekly award winners this season are: Gymnast of the Week: Isa (Jan. 11), O'Keefe (Feb. 1); Specialist of the Week: Rucker (Jan. 11), Thompson (Jan. 18), Hoffman (Jan. 25), Isa (Feb. 1), O'Keefe (Feb. 8); Freshman of the Week: Morgan (Jan. 11), McCallum (Jan. 18); and Coaches Choice: Hoffman (Jan. 11).
Utah leads the overall series with Oregon State 74-10-1, which includes a 35-0 record in Salt Lake City. The Red Rocks are riding a nine-meet winning streak over the Beavers with the last loss coming in 2017 on the road. Last year, Utah downed Oregon State 197.575-196.425 to clinch its second-straight Pac-12 Regular Season Championship. Maile O'Keefe posted a career-high 39.725 in the all-around to lead Utah in the win as she won four of five titles with no score coming below a 9.90.
SCOUTING OREGON STATE
Head Coach: Tanya Chaplin
2022 Ranking: 13
2021 Final Ranking: 22
Notes: Oregon State has dropped just one meet this season (against California) and holds a 6-1 overall record, which includes its first win over UCLA since the 2013 season … The Beavers are led by Olympic floor champion Jade Carey, who ranks first in the nation in the all-around with a 39.760 average … Carey broke OSU's school record in the all-around with a 39.825 against Arizona State and has scored a 9.90 or better in 19-20 routines …. Oregon State is No. 6 on floor, No. 10 on vault, and No. 14 on beam, while Carey is ranked in the top-10 on every event.
Utah will have a quick turnaround as the Utes immediately hit the road for a matchup at Washington on Monday, Feb. 21, in Seattle. The Utes and Huskies will compete at 7 p.m. MT at Alaska Airlines Arena. Then, Utah will finish its stretch of four out of five meets on the road in the month of February with a meet at Arizona on Friday, Feb. 25.