Bears Host Buffs Thursday
BERKELEY – The California men's basketball team opens a three-game homestand against Colorado at 6:30 p.m. PT on Thursday in Haas Pavilion. The contest will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
Cal (11-15, 4-11 Pac-12) is riding a two-game win streak after earning a road sweep of the Oregon schools last week. The Buffaloes (16-9, 8-7) have also won two in a row, most recently including a 90-64 victory at Oregon State on Tuesday. Thursday's game is the lone regular-season clash between Cal and Colorado.
All fans 3 and older must either show proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter the facility.
- Date & Time: Thursday, Feb. 17 | 6:30 p.m. PT
- Watch: Pac-12 Networks | Ted Robinson (PxP) & Mike Montgomery (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM (Tune-In App) | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Cal is 14-2 all-time at home against Colorado, including 2-0 under Mark Fox. In addition to besting the Buffs 71-62 on Feb. 13, 2021 last season, the Bears' most recent win over a ranked opponent came against No. 21 Colorado, 76-62, on Feb. 27, 2020 in Berkeley.
- The Bears are 9-6 at Haas Pavilion this season. All nine home wins came consecutively from Nov. 15-Jan. 2.
- In defeating the Beavers 63-61 on Feb. 9 and the Ducks 78-64 on Feb. 12, Cal earned its first road sweep of the Oregon schools since the 2013-14 season. It was also Cal's first road sweep of any kind since 2015-16.
- Jordan Shepherd scored a career-high 33 points on 9-15 shooting from the floor and 13-15 from the free throw line in the win at Oregon. The 33 points are the most scored by a Pac-12 player this season and the most by a Cal player since Don Coleman had 35 vs. Wichita State on Nov. 20, 2017. Shepherd has scored in double figures 21 times, including 18 of the past 20 games.
- Three of Cal's four Pac-12 victories this season have come by double-digits: 73-61 vs. Oregon State on Dec. 2; 74-50 vs. Arizona State on Jan. 2; 78-64 at Oregon on Feb. 12.
- Cal announced on Feb. 4 that senior forward Andre Kelly is expected to miss the remainder of the 2021-22 season with an ankle injury he suffered at USC on Jan. 29. Kelly averaged 13.4 points per game and 8.4 rebounds per game while ranking in the top-10 nationally in field-goal percentage (60.7%) and had played in every game of his college career (113 games) prior to the injury.
- Junior guard Joel Brown flirted with a triple-double in Cal's win at Oregon State on Feb. 9, recording nine points, a career-high nine rebounds, seven assists, three steals and just one turnover in 35 minutes played.
- With Kelly out, junior center Lars Thiemann has stepped into a starting role for the Bears. In five starts, Thiemann is averaging seven points per game while shooting 54.5% from the floor. He scored 11 against Stanford on Feb. 1 and recently totaled eight points, six rebounds, three blocks and two steals in 34 minutes played against WSU on Feb. 5.
- Cal limited OSU to 61 points on Feb. 9, marking the 11th time the Bears have held their opponent to 61 points or less this season.
- The Bears have out-rebounded their last three foes; 41-30 vs. WSU on Feb. 5, 42-36 vs. OSU on Feb. 9 and 36-31 at UO on Feb. 12.
Cal's homestand continues against Utah at 3 p.m. PT on Saturday. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
For further coverage of Cal men's basketball, follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/CalMBBall/).