No. 20 Gym Devils Return Home Against No. 15 Bruins
TEMPE, Ariz. – After defeating in-state rival Arizona on the road, the No. 20 Gym Devils return to Desert Financial Arena to host the No. 15 UCLA Bruins on Sunday, February 20, at 3 p.m. MST.
How to Follow
Desert Financial Arena will be open to the public and tickets are available here. Fan safety protocol information is here. The matchup can be viewed on the Pac-12 Network at 3 p.m. MST. Live scoring will also be available, as well as updates on Twitter (@SunDevilGym).
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (2-3, 2-2 Pac-12)
- Last weekend, Sun Devil Gymnastics defeated Arizona for the sixth-straight year. They set a new season high of 196.600 at the McKale Center. Co-head Coaches Jess and Jay Santos remain undefeated against Arizona.
- Arizona State put up new season high event totals on vault (49.275) and beam (49.175). Hannah Scharf and Alex Theodorou both tied their career highs on vault with a 9.900 to tie for the event title, while Jasmine Gutierrez took the beam title (9.900).
- Last year at UCLA, Hannah Scharf won the all-around title with a score of 39.475. Arizona State lost to then-No. 7 UCLA in a close battle in Los Angeles, 196.150 to 195.950. The Sun Devils are looking for their first win against the Bruins since 2001.
UCLA (2-5, 1-2 Pac-12)
- The Bruins most recently lost to Stanford 196.900 to 196.850 on the road. Chiles scored a perfect 10 on uneven bars – her second perfect 10 of the 2022 season.
- In 2021, UCLA placed third in the NCAA Regional Finals in Morgantown, WV. They sent three to nationals as individuals, including returners Chae Campbell and Margzetta Fraizer.
- UCLA Gymnastics features 2021 U.S. Olympic Silver Medalist Jordan Chiles, and 2020 U.S. Olympic Team alternate Emma Malabuyo.