No. 16 Huskies Get Road Win At Purdue
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Zoey Weil came through with the clinching singles point as the 16th-ranked Huskies held off Purdue for a 4-3 road win at the Schwartz Tennis Center. Washington (7-3) got back in the win column after three losses to top-15 opponents last week at ITA National Team Indoors.
Weil got the clinching point at No. 6 singles with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Seira Shimizu to make it 4-1 Dawgs before the Boilermakers won the final two matches for the 4-3 final.
The Dawgs also got singles wins from Sarah-Maude Fortin, who defeated Carmen Gallardo Guevara, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 2 singles, and Hikaru Sato, who moved up to No. 3 singles and had a 6-0, 6-3 win over Tara Katarina Milic.
Washington rallied today without normal No. 3 starter Nika Zupancic. Tara Chilton moved into the doubles lineup at No. 2, pairing with Fortin, and the two had a 6-2 win to clinch the doubles point. Weil and Kelly Leung had a 6-1 win at No. 3 doubles, and Vanessa Wong and Sato had match points at 5-3 in their No. 1 doubles match when UW clinched and play was stopped.
The Huskies will have one more big road test on Sunday at Notre Dame before returning home. First serve in South Bend is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Pacific time.
Washington Women's Tennis
February 18, 2022
Schwartz Tennis Center | West Lafayette, Ind.
No. 16 Washington – 4
Purdue - 3
1. Csilla Fodor (PU) def. Vanessa Wong (UW) – 6-4, 7-6 (4)
2. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) def. Carmen Gallardo Guevara (PU) – 6-1, 6-3
3. Hikaru Sato (UW) def. Tara Katarina Milic (PU) – 6-0, 6-3
4. Juana Larranaga (PU) def. Tara Chilton (UW) – 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Rut Galindo (PU) def. Kelly Leung (UW) – 6-4, 6-0
6. Zoey Weil (UW) def. Seira Shimizu (PU) – 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 3, 6, 1, 4
1. Wong/Sato (UW) vs. Wolf Gasparin/Fodor (PU) – 5-3, DNF
2. Chilton/Fortin (UW) def. Milic/Gallardo Guevara (PU) – 6-2
3. Leung/Weil (UW) def. Galindo/Larranaga (PU) – 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2