No. 11 Trojans Top No. 8 Card
SEATTLE – Bringing the series to a split this spring, No. 8 Stanford men's tennis dropped a match to No. 11 USC, 4-1, to finish competition at the ITA Indoor Championships. Stanford moves to 8-2 this year.
The Cardinal had previously upended the Trojans on Feb. 6, 4-1, but the team fell in four straight singles matches in Seattle. Stanford won the doubles point for the second-consecutive contest, with the pair of Arthur Fery and Axel Geller downing the nation's third-ranked pair and the tandem of Tomas Kopczynski and Timothy Sah closing out a 6-3 win on court three.
Alexandre Rotsaert was the only student-athlete to earn a victory in the first set, with the Trojans taking early control. Three matches finished in quick succession to give USC the lead, and they then finished the match on court five.
Stanford returns to action on Saturday, Feb. 26 against Saint Mary's. The match begins at 1:30 p.m., or after the completion of the women's contest at 11 a.m.
No. 11 USC 4, No. 8 Stanford 1
1) Fery/Geller (STAN) d. No. 3 Dostanic/Frye (USC), 6-3
2) Basing/Rotsaert (STAN) led Makk/Marek (USC), 5-3 uf
3) Kopczynski/Sah (STAN) d. Barretto/Colby (USC), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1) No. 1 Arthur Fery (STAN) trailed No. 4 Stefan Dostanic (USC), 5-7, 2-5 uf
2) No. 38 Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) vs. Wojtek Marek (USC), 6-2, 4-6 uf
3) Bradley Frye (USC) d. No. 74 Axel Geller (STAN), 6-1, 6-4
4) No. 46 Peter Makk (USC) d. No. 49 Max Basing (STAN), 6-1, 6-4
5) No. 59 Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) d. No. 108 Aryan Chaudhary (STAN), 6-4, 6-3
6) Ryan Colby (USC) d. Tomas Kopczynski (STAN), 6-3, 6-2