No. 11 USC Men’s Tennis Makes Singles Surge To Beat No. 8 Stanford 4-1 In Seattle
SEATTLE — The No. 11 USC men's tennis team found vengeance in Seattle, turning the tide on No. 8 Stanford for a 4-1 comeback win in consolation play at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. In doing so, USC avenged an earlier loss taken to the Cardinal in Palo Alto. To get this one, USC steamrolled its way through singles play, rebounding from losing the doubles point with a string of straight-set singles wins. Lodewijk Weststrate registered the clincher in this one to help USC to an 8-2 overall record with its second win at the ITA event in Seattle.
Stanford snagged the doubles point with 6-3 decisions on courts one and three to get the early leg up in this one. USC responded by taking the first sets on five courts in singles. The Trojans would keep their feet on the gas, sparked first by #46 Peter Makk's 6-1, 6-4 victory over Stanford's #46 Max Basing on court four to snarl things up at 1-1. Senior Bradley Frye came through next with a swift 6-1, 6-4 win of his own over #74 Axel Geller at the No. 3 spot. Pulling the Trojans into position was freshman Ryan Colby on court six, where his 6-3, 6-2 win over Tomas Kopczynski made it 3-1 USC. Two Trojans were pressing for the clincher, and it would be Lodewijk Weststrate who hit the finish line first with a 6-3, 6-3 win over #108 Aryan Chaudhary on court five. That gave USC the win and suspended a top-four battle on court one, where USC's #4 Stefan Dostanic was leading Stanford's #1 Arthur Fery 7-5, 5-2 when action came to a halt.
USC returns to California with the next battle taking the Trojans to Malibu for a 1 p.m. meeting with Pepperdine on Saturday (Feb. 26).
ITA NATIONAL TEAM INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIP (Seattle, Wash.)
#11  USC 4, #8  Stanford 1
Feb. 20, 2022 | Seattle Tennis Club
(1) Fery/Geller (STAN) def. #3 Dostanic/Frye (USC) - 6-3
(2) Makk/Marek (USC) vs. Basing/Rotsaert (STAN) - 3-5 susp.
(3) Kopczynski/Sah (STAN) def. Barretto/Colby (USC) - 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3,
Stanford wins doubles point.
(1) #4 Stefan Dostanic (USC) vs. #1 Arthur Fery (STAN) - 7-5, 5-2 susp.
(2) Wojtek Marek (USC) vs. #38 Alex Rotsaert (STAN) - 2-6, 6-4 susp.
(3) Bradley Frye (USC) def. #74 Axel Geller (STAN) - 6-1, 6-4
(4) #46 Peter Makk (USC) def. #49 Max Basing (STAN) - 6-1, 6-4
(5) #59 Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. #108 Aryan Chaudhary (STAN) - 6-3, 6-3*
(6) Ryan Colby (USC) def. Tomas Kopczynski (STAN) - 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6, 5*