No. 7 Cal Suffers Setback At No. 22 UCLA
LOS ANGELES – Seventh-ranked California women's tennis suffered a 6-1 loss to No. 22 UCLA on Monday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Cal's record is 6-4 after the nonconference result. UCLA has a 3-3 record. The teams play each other in their Pac-12 Conference match on March 25 in Berkeley.
The Bears picked up two good wins to capture the doubles point. The Bears won on court two, with Jessica Alsola and Katja Wiersholm besting the 33rd-ranked Ava Catanzarite and Abbey Forbes, 6-2. After a loss on court three, Cal clinched the point on court one, with the pair of Valentina Ivanov and Haley Giavara defeating the Bruins' 16th-ranked Elysia Bolton and Elise Wagle, 6-4.
But UCLA turned up the pressure in singles, winning all six first sets. The Bruins clinched the match on court four, with Kimmie Hance beating Cal senior Julia Rosenqvist, 6-4, 6-4, to give UCLA a 4-1 lead. The teams played out the remaining matches to make the final score 6-1.
"We played good doubles and got that doubles point," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus said. "We started well, because normally UCLA comes out quite fast. We were ready for that today. Two matches on this trip and two doubles points. That was the good news. We didn't play well enough in singles today. We have to go home, work on that and make some adjustments.
"We get to compete at home for the next month, and we have some opportunities in front of us. We just have to work hard and take advantage of them."
Cal returns to the Hellman Tennis Complex to host No. 3 Texas on Sunday.
No. 22 UCLA (3-3) defeated No. 7 California (6-4), 6-1
Feb. 21, 2022, in Los Angeles, Calif.
Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. No. 16 Elysia Bolton/Elise Wagle (UCLA), 6-4*
2. Jessica Alsola/Katja Wiersholm (Cal) def. No. 33 Ava Catanzarite/Abbey Forbes (UCLA), 6-2
3. Kimmie Hance/Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) def. Erin Richardson/Julia Rosenqvist (Cal), 6-3
Order – 3, 2, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 76 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. Haley Giavara (Cal), 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 100 Elysia Bolton (UCLA) def. No. 51 Jessica Alsola (Cal), 6-3, 6-2
3. No. 115 Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) def. No. 110 Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 6-4, 6-2
4. No. 112 Kimmie Hance (UCLA) def. Julia Rosenqvist (Cal), 6-4, 6-4^
5. Elise Wagle (UCLA) def. Makenna Thiel (Cal), 7-6(3), 6-7(5), 1-0(4)
6. Ava Catanzarite (UCLA) def. No. 99 Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish – 1, 6, 2, 4^, 3, 5
^Clinched the overall match