Baseball Opens Three-Game Series With Xavier In Surprise Thursday
GAME 5: Oregon State (4-0) vs. Xavier (0-4)
Feb. 24, 2022 • 12:00 p.m. PT • Surprise, Ariz. • Surprise Stadium
RHP Jaren Hunter (0-0, 0.00) vs. LHP Trevor Olson (0-0, 1.80)
Oregon State opens a three-game series with Xavier Thursday afternoon at Surprise Stadium. First pitch is slated for 12 p.m. PT (1 p.m. in Arizona).
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will not be televised.
The game will be streamed live by FloSports. Visit osubeavers.com and click on the baseball scheduled for a direct link to the games. For subscription information, visit FloSports.TV.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
TJ Wheeler and Greg Fuchs each drove in four runs as Oregon State defeated New Mexico Sunday, 13-3, at Surprise Stadium. The win capped a 2-0 day for the Beavers, who also defeated Gonzaga, 9-5, earlier in the day. Wheeler hit a grand slam in the eighth inning, while Fuchs went 2-for-4, which included a bases-clearing double. Six different Beavers recorded two hits as Oregon State finished with 15 hits as a team. Jacob Kmatz picked up his first career win in the victory. In game one, Jacob Melton went 3-for-4 with three RBI while Wheeler and Travis Bazzana each drove in two runs.
• All three games of the series will now start at 12 p.m. PT (1 p.m. in Arizona).
• Saturday's series finale has been moved up from its original 4 p.m. PT start.
• Oregon State has swiped nine bases in nine attempts this season, and is led by Jacob Melton and Justin Boyd, who have three apiece.
• The 2021 Beavers finished with 38 overall and did not reach nine until the series finale against Washington State, the 17th game of the season.
• Melton now has 11 career stolen bases after finishing with eight last season.
• OSU is second in the Pac-12 in stolen bases, trailing only UCLA's 11.
Runs, And A Lot Of Them
• Oregon State finished with 56 runs on 57 hits in picking up two wins apiece versus Gonzaga and New Mexico last weekend.
• Both totals rank second in the nation.
• The 56 runs are also the most by the Beavers in the first four games of a season since the 1985 club also scored 56.
• The Beavers' .396 batting average ranks first in the Pac-12. OSU also ranks first in the Pac-12 in RBI (49), on-base percentage (.519) and walks (30).
Versus The Big East
• Oregon State is meeting Xavier for the first time.
• The Beavers are 7-2 all-time against current members of the Big East.
• Justin Boyd is 12-for-33 during a current eight-game hit streak. Jacob Melton is 12-for-25 during a six-gamer.
• Sunday's win against New Mexico marked the 1,200th in the program's history away from home.